VC Intrepid 2 vs Jotul F100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VASteve

Feb 2, 2023
Round Hill VA
Hi Everyone, I'm looking at two small stoves right now and I'm struggling to make a decision on the better stove. Both are used. The F100 has seen very little use, but both work well. I'm new to wood stoves so any feedback is appreciated.

Option 1: Intrepid 2 with catalyst (Needs repainted, new rope, cleaned, unsure of age) Asking $1000.

Option 2: Jotul F100 non-catalyst (Excellent condition, only a few years old, a few hours drive) Asking $1500.

This will be used in my living room to supplement a heat pump, not as a primary heat source. Is the catalyst stove the better option? Ease of use is a priority, but efficiency is always appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Everyone, I'm looking at two small stoves right now and I'm struggling to make a decision on the better stove. Both are used. The F100 has seen very little use, but both work well. I'm new to wood stoves so any feedback is appreciated.

Option 1: Intrepid 2 with catalyst (Needs repainted, new rope, cleaned, unsure of age) Asking $1000.

Option 2: Jotul F100 non-catalyst (Excellent condition, only a few years old, a few hours drive) Asking $1500.

This will be used in my living room to supplement a heat pump, not as a primary heat source. Is the catalyst stove the better option? Ease of use is a priority, but efficiency is always appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure what the Intrepid costs, but FWIW, I paid about the asking price new for my F100. Of course, you can't get them currently in the US, so that may be a factor.
I will say, I'd buy the F100 again based on my experience so far.

Thanks in advance!
Ive heard the older VC's are really well running, great products and beautiful. All I have experience with are the newer VC stoves, and I can tell you if I had to do it all over again I would get a Jotul in a heartbeat, or a Drolet. I originally was going to go with a Drolet and wish I would have. Wife saw a cast iron stove that looked more ornate (F45 Jotul) and loved it. But they werent getting them in for a long time so we looked around some more and then saw places that had plenty of VCs. Well, there's probably a reason for that. They are very difficult to operate, and I would say dangerous to leave alone for too long (anything longer than an hour) , that's just my opinion. There are others here that trust their newer VC stoves, and use them with minimal effort. But search these forums and find out on your own, dont take my word for it.

How big is the room /space you are heating? The f100 is small. I’m pretty sure 16” wood won’t fit. But it would be my choice. But for about the same price I would consider a small Dolet if you like the looks of them.

F100 all the way if choosing between the two! I love my F400

The Intrepid II will have more of a learning curve than the Jotul. But the Intrepid may have a somewhat longer burn time. The Intrepid II is the only VC that I haven't heard many or actually any complaints about. With that said and with how you intend on using it I would go with the Jotul. I think that's some serious money for that Jotul though. That's probably about what it was new. I think that may be a little too much for that Intrepid as well with the work that needs to be done to it. Just IMO though. A new Intrepid flexburn would be around $3,000 just to give you an idea.

Reactions: SpaceBus
That is an outrageous ask for the F100. At that price, look to buy a new small Morso or Jotul F602. Or skip the cast iron and get something like the Drolet Spark II or Nano new for the same price and better performance.

Thanks for the feedback, Nate. Is yours catalytic or non-catalytic? Do you have a preference for either?

Non-catalytic. Not sure an F100 with a Cat was ever sold in the US. I have no preference as I have no experience with a wood stove catalyst.

The f100 is small. I’m pretty sure 16” wood won’t fit.
Technically, it will, but it's a stretch, The inside is more than 16" wide, but you have to angle 16" wood to get it through the <15" door opening. For purchased wood, it's been a pain. I've been cutting my own wood to about 14" for the F100, and some to about 6-7" for N/S loading, too.

I just retired an F3CB after 16 years. It did a pretty good job heating this leaky old house and paid for itself many times over, but the F3 is a little bigger than the F100. When we decided on getting a wood stove, we were planning on the F100, but the stove store guy didn't recommend the F100 as it is really only designed for small spaces (smaller rooms or cabins) and would quickly get overtaxed trying to heat a larger space. So we went with the F3 (obviously at a higher purchase price), but I think we would have been better served with a larger stove. Kind of like we have now.

Well I ended up finding another Intrepid 2 (1990 catalytic model) for a much better price so I decided to take a chance on it. I'm planning to rebuild it and make sure its in excellent shape. I'm planning to replace gaskets/ropes, repaint it, and clean it out. Are tehre any recommendations on other items I should inspect/replace. Thank you everyone for the feedback!

Reactions: Nate R
Well I ended up finding another Intrepid 2 (1990 catalytic model) for a much better price so I decided to take a chance on it. I'm planning to rebuild it and make sure its in excellent shape. I'm planning to replace gaskets/ropes, repaint it, and clean it out. Are tehre any recommendations on other items I should inspect/replace. Thank you everyone for the feedback!
Replace all parts of the refractory chamber check all cast parts for warping. And do a complete tear down and recement all the joints after cleaning them all very well. You will probably be pushing $1000 in parts and allot of time into. A stove that isn't bad but will definitely always be temperamental.