VC Intrepid II 1990 leaking around seams when cat is turned on.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

babolu333

Nov 6, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
Hey guys. New to the forum. I just inherited and refurbished an VC Intrepid II 1990. The wood stove was in pretty good condition. So far, here is what I have done:
  1. Removed and replaced all of the stove gaskets.
  2. Removed and cleaned the air mechanisms (there is one below the cat and one attached to a dampener).
  3. Polished the exposed cast Irion in the back.
  4. Used an air hammer to remove the chipping enamel on the doors and top.
  5. Painted the doors and top with rust oleum high heat paint.
So far everything is looking okay. However, when I turn the cat on at 400f, smoke leaks out of the top seam of the stove (between the base and the top of the stove).

Is this normal? Can I seal it? The stove is a biscuit (almond-ish) color so I don't want to use black stove cement.

IMG_1345.JPGIMG_1500.jpgIMG_1499.JPG

This is an EPA stove. Moving thread to main forum for a wider audience familiar with this model.

This refractory cement is white and will work.

Reactions: babolu333
This is an EPA stove. Moving thread to main forum for a wider audience familiar with this model.

This refractory cement is white and will work.
Hi begreen, question for you. Does this look like it needs to be sealed with the cement? It came in the mail today. I am not sure where to seal and I haven't found any good sources online. Thank you!

IMG_1514.JPG IMG_1515.JPG IMG_1516.JPG IMG_1517.JPG

Agreed. The soot traces definitely look like leakage and in multiple locations. If the goal is long term repair, tear down the stove and do it right. It shouldn't take too long to do this. Maybe a morning or afternoon.

Honestly I would say the stove needs a complete tear down and recementing. Smearing cement on the surface might make it through a season
Agreed. The soot traces definitely look like leakage and in multiple locations. If the goal is long term repair, tear down the stove and do it right. It shouldn't take too long to do this. Maybe a morning or afternoon.
Got it, seeing as you guys are in and around this forum a lot... someone mentioned some good tare down posts. I haven't found any yet. Any threads you can recommend? I know its not rocket science but I like being prepared!

Got it, seeing as you guys are in and around this forum a lot... someone mentioned some good tare down posts. I haven't found any yet. Any threads you can recommend? I know its not rocket science but I like being prepared!
Hey guys, so I have it apart and there looks to be like black caulk and some other material. Is this the ceramic cemented?

image.jpgimage.jpg