VC Merrimack Blower problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mociun

Feb 14, 2023
California
Hi -- and help! I started a fire the other night, the blower had not yet switched on.. but something sparked (by the rheostat) and the circuit breaker was tripped. I reset the breaker, but did not unplug the blower assembly, feed the fire... the blower did not switch on. Did I blow just the rheostat? I hope so. But --- how does the bottom lattice come off of the stove in order to access the blower, rheostat and snap disc? This stove was installed in 2017 by the prior owner of my house. I've called the installer -- he doesn't remember how to remove the bottom lattice. Can anyone help solve this mystery? I would be so grateful!

Did the previous homeowner leave the install manual? If so, look for a separate sheet with the surround installation procedure.

What brand and model stove is this?

VC Merrimack. It takes removing the ashlip.

Remove the two (2) side louvre (or access) doors under the ashlip.
Remove the screw and washer from each side holding the ashlip to the front.
Remove the two (2) screws holding the rheostat bracket to the fan housing.

Reactions: kcmclellan and vbu
Did the previous homeowner leave the install manual? If so, look for a separate sheet with the surround installation procedure.
There is a manual, but there are no instructions as to how to pull out the lattice front. The diagram is vague.

VC Merrimack. It takes removing the ashlip.

Remove the two (2) side louvre (or access) doors under the ashlip.
Remove the screw and washer from each side holding the ashlip to the front.
Remove the two (2) screws holding the rheostat bracket to the fan housing.
Hi and thank you - should the whole unit slide out? I have removed the four screws.. but the lattice still won't budge.

Was the slate set too close to the lattice?

3A469DDB-6619-4326-9C29-57520ED68E4E.jpeg

It looks like they tiled after it was installed, and the ash lip is jammed in there. I've got the montpelier. My stove sits down a bit inside the fireplace. When I want to remove the blowers, I have to use a small crowbar, grab a corner of the stove on either side, hike it up a bit and put shims under the leveling bolts. From the pic it looks like you're able to take off those 2 side panels. Any access there? Maybe take the surround off (heavy, but should lift off), and try to rock the top of the stove into the fire place? You wont need much. Another person can stick some shims underneath. Perhaps (again, surround off) you can just push the whole unit into the fireplace a bit to give relief. There's usually some play.

Take a look at the manual. It doesn't mention removing the ash lip, but it does talk to mounting everything during the installation. Maybe that'll help.

Reactions: kcmclellan
Thank you for the idea! Yes they tiled after it was installed. I’m guessing the blower has never been cleaned - from what we can see.

Thank you for the idea! Yes they tiled after it was installed. I’m guessing the blower has never been cleaned - from what we can see.
I’m afraid the slate will need to be removed. I see no other way to access the blower assembly - sad to say.

Here’s the vermont castings blower wiring diagram for merrimack and Montpelier inserts. Conveniently located on the back of the blower. 😑

472C8539-D6A0-4C2B-BC8A-EEFC5DBFC4EE.jpeg

Pretty clean work there. I'd be like, 'no wood stove for the rest of the year honey!'

It was an absolute mess… we made a tent for the slate cutting. Used a handheld cutter with a diamond. Then chiseled out the 6 pieces of cut slate.

And now, a fire, a blower, a warm evening inside - a cold and chilly night outside…
The rheostat was fried. I bought a new rheostat and snapstat from Mountain View Hearth Products in Columbia Falls, MT (406-272-9850). Remodeled the slate and cleaned and replaced parts.
Thank you to you all for ideas and input - this forum was so helpful!
EBB4EB12-E699-4892-992A-59C8292D1F97.jpeg

Reactions: Fod01
Nice job! What condition were the fans in? I assume they hadn't been cleaned since install....

The fan was very dirty. The prior owners also routed the electrical cord in such a way that it cannot be removed without removing the façade from the fireplace. 😑
I worked with a short cord. But the good news is the fan works!

Good job and just in time. It's gotten chilly on the left coast.

Reactions: mociun