VC Resolute Acclaim 2490 - not responding to air control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

YALABETIT

Dec 27, 2021
NH
The air flow control lever underneath the front lip of my Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim woodstove #2490 no longer regulates the airflow into my stove. It seems to be constantly open in the widest position. Can you advise what the best remedy might be?

Can you see the linkage operation by using a mirror under the stove? Is it working? Have you checked the stove for cracks or air leaks?

Can you see the linkage operation by using a mirror under the stove? Is it working? Have you checked the stove for cracks or air leaks?
I’m assuming the problem is related to the AIR VALVE #39 depicted in the attached schematic. But I don’t have any idea where it is or how to get to it. (No obvious other sources of an air leak or crack other than the space at the bottom of the inner secondary chamber)

AE193B15-05AC-4626-AEE8-B05EEE5FCEB1.jpeg CD94EC44-1DF7-4E38-9CFA-D3DE6D307C79.jpeg

I'm not positive but would guess it on the stove bottom. If you take a mirror and a flashlight underneath the stove can you see anything happen when you move the rod?

Cannot see any moving parts other than valve attached to the handle on the underside (up front) of the stove. No observable cracks or leaks. Considering removing the valve and reinstalling it but not sure if that’ll make situation worse. Hoping someone has some advice.

So you have now visually verified that the valve opens and closes properly? If so, then the issue is not likely there. The next thing to check is the refractory assembly. If it has deteriorated to the point of collapse there may be little control over the fire.

Correct. The lever moves freely.
Q: at the rear bottom of the inner combustion chamber should there be a visible 1” opening out toward the rear of the stove?

Correct. The lever moves freely.
Q: at the rear bottom of the inner combustion chamber should there be a visible 1” opening out toward the rear of the stove?
And you have verified that the lever is connected to and operating the air valve, correct?

I don't recall seeing that hole, but it has been well over a decade since I have had a hand on this stove. Try posting in the VC thread to see if there is an Acclaim owner that can check their stove.

Chances are the draft control is fine, but the stove leaks air elsewhere. Regasket door, glass, and griddle see if tjat helps.

The opening you refer to is a fixed secondary air inlet.