VC Resolute Acclaim decrepit combustion package

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FeelTheBurn

Sep 6, 2018
Scarborough, Maine
After a winter of burning wood (about 1.5 cord) in a 30 year old VC Resolute Acclaim that came with a house I bought, I decided it was time to do some maintenance. I removed the lower firebrick so I could replace the arch inserts and vacuum out the side vents and opening to the combustion package (both packed quite full of dense ash), and I found the combustion package in this decrepit condition:
20180906_140732.jpg

I can't see the holes along the bottom of the opening to the combustion package and am wondering if that's because they're covered with densely packed ash, or because the structure that they're drilled in has actually disintegrated and crumbled away! It's hard to tell what's compressed ash and what's the delicate refractory material! Should I dig and scrub more to uncover that structure, or would that just tear apart the combustion package even further?

Assuming this is what's left of the existing combustion package, would it be safe (if less than fully efficient) to replace the arch inserts and put the fireback back onto this worn out old combustion package and keep burning with it for another season? Especially after reading other threads on this forum, I don't think it's worth the expense to have the combustion packaged replaced, and likely quite a few other parts if this aging stove is disassembled. I'd really like to just patch it up with new arch inserts and squeeze another year or so out of it before replacing the whole stove.

That stove was not VC's shining hour. It most likely needs a full rebuild. Look for warped damper and other issues. Personally I wouldn't bother if the intent is to heat 24/7 with the stove.

Reactions: FeelTheBurn
That stove was not VC's shining hour. It most likely needs a full rebuild. Look for warped damper and other issues. Personally I wouldn't bother if the intent is to heat 24/7 with the stove.

Yeah, I'm definitely not doing a full rebuild. It's not something I could do myself, and for what it would cost to have it professionally rebuilt, I'd probably be better off buying a new stove.

I'm tempted to just burn away with it as is for another year. I have oil heat, so I just run the stove during the day and evening, when I'm home and awake, to save money. Last year the stove kept the house plenty warm, and I only used the oil heat overnight or when I was away.

This is my 30 year old resolute acclaim that I bought new in 1988. It has been a great stove and still works perfectly.
No stove will hold up to being over fired which I suspect yours was.

That's really wonderful. Consider yourself very lucky. It is a nice stove when running properly. Unfortunately it didn't take overfiring to see this stove degrade. The refractory package did not stand up to daily 24/7 burning as the sole source of heat. I have seen a few of these stoves, bought new, degrade to the point of needing a rebuild within 3-4 yrs of full time use. And that is in our mild climate. None were overfired. FWIW, the problem became so well known that it almost brought the company down.

We had the original Resolute but had to sell it when we moved. Fast forward a decade and I went to the dealer to talk about buying the Acclaim. He wouldn't sell it to me.

This is my 30 year old resolute acclaim that I bought new in 1988. It has been a great stove and still works perfectly.
No stove will hold up to being over fired which I suspect yours was.

I don't know how my stove was handled during its first 29 years, but I'm sure I overfired it on occasion after I became its owner. In any case, i didn't want to spend several hundred $ and untold time refurbishing it with a good chance that I'd have to do the same all over again in a few years, so I gave it away and bought a Woodstock Absolute Steel.

Now I'm focused on learning how to burn wood efficiently in that one. I haven't come close to overfiring it yet.

That's really wonderful. Consider yourself very lucky. It is a nice stove when running properly. Unfortunately it didn't take overfiring to see this stove degrade. The refractory package did not stand up to daily 24/7 burning as the sole source of heat. I have seen a few of these stoves, bought new, degrade to the point of needing a rebuild within 3-4 yrs of full time use. And that is in our mild climate. None were overfired. FWIW, the problem became so well known that it almost brought the company down.

We had the original Resolute but had to sell it when we moved. Fast forward a decade and I went to the dealer to talk about buying the Acclaim. He wouldn't sell it to me.
I think all the bad press about the failing catalytic flex burn stoves will do more harm.