Replacing a VC Resolute Acclaim combustion package

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DrDon

Jun 26, 2022
Allegany, PA
I'm continuing this discussion as a new thread, because I misnamed my stove in the old thread, and now it's more about replacing the combustion package than it is about cleaning.

I have a Resolute Acclaim with a tag on the back that says serial number 2847. That seems short for a serial number, but it's not a model number that I can find online associated with the RA. The manufacture date is "3068," which doesn't make any sense to me as a date. It says it was safety tested in 1988, but the stove seems a lot newer than that. I've attached a so-so image of the plate. From what I can tell based on pictures online (https://www.cozycabinstoveandfireplaceparts.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=0041) , I'm thinking it's a model 0041 rather than the 2490.

The issue is that when I was cleaning it, I pulled out quite a few pieces of some kind of refractory material that had fallen down out of the back of the secondary burn chamber (some kind of baffling, I guess). At this point, I'm trying to decide whether it's worth replacing the secondary burn chamber ($365 here). If anyone has done that, maybe you can share some of your wisdom. (I'm using "secondary burn chamber" and "combustion package" interchangeably here; I don't know if that's appropriate.)
  • How hard will it be to do the job? (And can you alert me to any potential pitfalls or mistakes I might make?) I've read elsewhere that it's a bear of a project that's probably not worth doing, but these instructions make it seem pretty straightforward, at least for the 2490.
  • Is it going to make all that much difference? The stove worked well enough last winter, and the rest of it is in good shape. Would I even notice a difference with a new secondary burn chamber?
Thank you all, from the bottom of my heart, for any advice and wisdom you give me.

VC Resolute back tag.jpg VC Resolute secondary chamber.jpg

Well for the record it's actually model 0041. Sorry, not trying to be "that guy", but it matters. I wouldn't bother replacing the combustion package.

Well for the record it's actually model 0041. Sorry, not trying to be "that guy", but it matters. I wouldn't bother replacing the combustion package.
Yes, I think 0041 is what I said in my post. But why would you not spend $365 on a new combustion package if the rest of the stove is solid? That and a little more for some door gaskets seems like a good price for what would (I guess) amount to a refurbished stove.

I'm continuing this discussion as a new thread, because I misnamed my stove in the old thread, and now it's more about replacing the combustion package than it is about cleaning.

I have a Resolute Acclaim with a tag on the back that says serial number 2847. That seems short for a serial number, but it's not a model number that I can find online associated with the RA. The manufacture date is "3068," which doesn't make any sense to me as a date. It says it was safety tested in 1988, but the stove seems a lot newer than that. I've attached a so-so image of the plate. From what I can tell based on pictures online (https://www.cozycabinstoveandfireplaceparts.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=0041) , I'm thinking it's a model 0041 rather than the 2490.

The issue is that when I was cleaning it, I pulled out quite a few pieces of some kind of refractory material that had fallen down out of the back of the secondary burn chamber (some kind of baffling, I guess). At this point, I'm trying to decide whether it's worth replacing the secondary burn chamber ($365 here). If anyone has done that, maybe you can share some of your wisdom. (I'm using "secondary burn chamber" and "combustion package" interchangeably here; I don't know if that's appropriate.)
  • How hard will it be to do the job? (And can you alert me to any potential pitfalls or mistakes I might make?) I've read elsewhere that it's a bear of a project that's probably not worth doing, but these instructions make it seem pretty straightforward, at least for the 2490.
  • Is it going to make all that much difference? The stove worked well enough last winter, and the rest of it is in good shape. Would I even notice a difference with a new secondary burn chamber?
Thank you all, from the bottom of my heart, for any advice and wisdom you give me.

View attachment 299473 View attachment 299474
Has anyone on this forum ever replaced the combustion package on a Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim Model 0041? One person has said he wouldn't bother but didn't say why. If I can get the part for under $400 and the rest of the stove is solid, it seems like a good deal on what would essentially be a refurbished stove.

Remove the 2 bolts which hold the upper fireback and damper assy.. Imagine a horizontal axis across the center of the damper when closed; you'll find a 7/16" hex bolt along the axis, one at each end of the upper fireback. Remove upper fb & damper assy and old comb. package. Install new comb. pkg, reinstall ufb & d, the lower fireback. Done.

Remove the 2 bolts which hold the upper fireback and damper assy.. Imagine a horizontal axis across the center of the damper when closed; you'll find a 7/16" hex bolt along the axis, one at each end of the upper fireback. Remove upper fb & damper assy and old comb. package. Install new comb. pkg, reinstall ufb & d, the lower fireback. Done.
Thanks. That sounds pretty straightforward. So maybe when you said "I wouldn't bother" your point was that the loss of some refractory material from the secondary burn chamber really isn't a big deal. If so, I should just put the stove back together and fire it up. (Today I fired up the whole-house furnace for the first time this year.)

Well it's just that the 0041 was a flawed design. They quickly redesigned it and it became the 2490 , then made a conversion kit so the stove could be rebuilt and upgraded. For years it was available under warranty! ( I made a small fortune doing these in the 90's) There aren't many 0041's left, eventually the core sides fail. Hopefully yours will go a good long while, but I'd be reluctant to spend the time and $ on it knowing what's ahead. Comb. Pkg is like $500.00 now!?!?

Reactions: bholler