vc resolute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bruce56bb said:
can you guys/gals give me you opinion of this stove?
thanks in advance
bruce

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vermont-Casting...4QQihZ005QQcategoryZ41987QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My opinion of this stove is that it was a good stove. One of the best twenty years ago. Now, it has limited usefullness. It's usefullness will depend on your intent. As a primary source of heat it cannot compete with it's more modern relatives, such as the Resolute Acclaim. However, if you know what you are doing it can be a good supplementary heater or backup in the right circumstances. Those circumtances would include the ability to burn the stove hot, with good draft and good wood and an easy to clean chimney system (which will make it more likely that you will actually do the cleaning). Burned hot this stove can be very efficient. It can also be a creosote maker. No long clean burns with this one. It's either short, hot, relatively clean burns or long smokey creosote making.

Also, the Resolute I, as shown in the picture, is relatively hard to get parts for. If the door breaks you will have to replace the entire front to a double-door version. That kit will be hard to find. The door hinges, on the front casting, are the most likely place for damage. Some interior parts, for fireback repair, are still available but they are expensive. The current owner had it six years. Unkown how long the previous owner. Chance are the cement is brittle and ready to fall out. This would mean a complete rebuild to make the stove servicable. Costly, and risky since exterior cast panels are not available from the maker any more.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 and expect to put in some sweat and elbow grease to service it. Then burn it hot, in short sessions and clean my chimney every month. If not willing to do that you should pass. Put your money into new technology or look for a used stove that is more advanced than the Resolute (like an Encore, Acclaim, or a Lopi 380, etc.)

Sean

Honestly it appears to be as claimed, in good condition. He does have the right at 1982 drop down front door model. The griddle gasket also requires replacing every 3-4 years, to be expected. IT is also labled and after 1979 it is listed.
However not EPA compliant. the holes in the back and the bottom compartment have to be cleanned for secondary burning and dampering down to occure. Top loading is a real nice feature. Craig anything else to add, you sold these Resolutes. Aslo noted as calimed the interior plates do not appear cracked or warped and also missing is the whitish indications of over firing. Depends on what his reserve is if it is a good buy The stove its self appears to be decent ( only judging from the pictures)

The Resolute was our first, new wood stove. Bought it from Sutter Home in Seattle for about $450. We had it for 5 years until we moved into a house that had no chimney for a stove. The original Resolute was a great stove and we really loved it. It was well mannered and I would guess that it can heat maybe 1000-1500 sq. ft depending on tightness of the house and insulation. The stove, when tended properly, burns very cleanly. Annual cleaning produced little creosote burning dry fir and soft maple. We liked it's automatic thermostatic damper, though it had a minor tendency to tap tap like a nervous grandmother when damped down. This was solved by putting a tiny bar magnet on the outside bottom edge of the air flap, so that it closed firmly. The thermostat did a pretty good job of regulating the stove. You can cook on it too. We found this out when we had a strong Thanksgiving Day storm that knocked out the power for the day.

Negatives would be that it only takes 16" wood, though you can squeeze in a bit larger due to the top-loading feature. We had the fireplace screen front, and it worked fine, but ended up only using it rarely. My wife had no problem running the stove even though it was her first. This is definitely an original model which is better than the mid-80's run of these stoves. We had no issues with warping plates etc. and used it every winter for primary heat in the Pac. NW.

If the stove is in good condition, count on replacing the gaskets and giving it a good cleaning. Elk has it right about it not being epa approved, but I'm not sure if it could be grandfathered in some states? This stove was built to last a lifetime and with good care it just might.

Drop door was even before my time!
They went to a double door design because people were dropping the door and breaking the hinges.

This stove looks to be in decent shape and will work OK with a STRONG chimney. It will work poorly with a marginal chimney.

Original selling price of this stove was $350-375.

If you can get it for a good price....then it might just be worth the money. $250 or under seems to be a good deal.....not sure what others have gone for on eBay.

I have one of the double door resolute. Essentially I beieve it's the same just with double doors. I bought mine used ($300) with maybe 2 years of service on it. Last winter was my first year using it (also my first stove ever). I live in Northeast Ohio, by Lake Erie. It heated my 1100 square foot house very nicely though it wasn't a very hard winter. I used about 4 cords of wood (ash, oak, lots of maple). Probably so much because my house is old and not well insulated. The termostate is awesome to have as it regulates the fire nicely. I do on occation get the flapping thing happening like someone mentioned. The top loading is very nice, then you can load it to the top. If I run the stove in it's slow burn mode and set the temperature down it will keep the house warm all night and have hot ash in the morning. This will make creosote, but if you have 1 to 2 really hot fires a day it's not going to be a problem. My stove also drafts very well. If you don't have a huge house it should work nicely. As far as price.... I thought $300 for my stove was a good deal, besides it's paid for it's self in the first year.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.