VC Vigilant Door Issues...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vanhoesenj

Hearth Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Hi all -

Not new to stoves, but new to this one. It's a 1977 VC vigilant, in great shape, working good - but I think it could work better.

My question is, what does the pawl actually latch onto inside the stove? I can't find any literature from VC that shows the operating mechanism. Yes, I looked inside, but that doesn't mean it's supposed to look that way. I changed the pawl and the door still doesn't shut REAL tight, there is still a little play in the door (e.g. - I can push it in about 1/16"-1/8"). The rope gasket looks new, but that could be replaced easy.

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts as to why the door doesn't shut tight (if I try to tighten it too much it slides off the lip of the inside of the stove and then just keeps turning to the right). I can post a video of me trying to lock the door if that helps. Can the doors warp?

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

cheers
JOhn

Dylan said:
John Van Hoesen said:
.... then just keeps turning to the right

"to the right"?? Is that clockwise or counterclockwise....as facing the door from the outside??

Yes, clockwise facing the door from the outside

I've also attached two images that show the "wedge" that I think the pawl should slide against, but isn't anywhere coming into contact with it. Were there different length pawls made for VC Vigilants? Any help would be appreciated, I'm nervous about not being able to "lock" this properly.

Thanks
John

Attachments

• Resize of DSCN9193.JPG
    Resize of DSCN9193.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 284
  • Resize of DSCN9194.JPG
    Resize of DSCN9194.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 246
From the pciture that appear to be highly adjustable. If you close the door and open the top feed hatch to look at the latch + pawl. How far away is the latch from engaging with the pawl?

Edit - disregard. You've obviously done just that.

By the length of the arm, and the closeness and lip on the other door, could it just be made to hold the door on the left closed by pulling over the lip of the right door? Is the door on the right secured at any other place?

Status
Not open for further replies.