VC Vigilant Height Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmowens

Feb 9, 2009
Walpole, NH
Hello folks,

My new home came with an early model Vermont Castings Vigilant (Model 1, I think). When I have the $$ I'll buy something that uses less wood more efficiently, but for now I'm fairly satisfied. It's keeping this old house warm so far this winter, though it'll be a while before I learn the best air adjustments for optimum burning (all the past postings on this model have helped).

My problem is that the stove is a little too tall for the space in which it is installed. For the stovepipe to reach the chimney opening, it actually needs to run slightly downward across it's horizontal distance from the flue collar (maybe 1.5" total). The draft is still decent, but I suspect it's not ideal. I'm stuck with the height of the chimney opening I have, so I need to find a way to make the stove sit a little lower or for the pipe to turn horizontal sooner after leaving the flue collar.

I figure my options are:

A) Install shorter legs. This would be simple, but the kit seems hard to find, and I worry that the 3" brick hearth (directly on top of wood subfloor) will get too hot.

B) Find (or make) an 8" oval-to-round adapter that's a few inches shorter than the one I have. I've searched around, and everything seems too long. The adapter setup I have now is about 10.5" long.

Any ideas???

Many thanks.

Attachments

• vigilant.jpg
    vigilant.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 408
Does the stove fit the other way? so that the back of the stove would be perpendicular to the pipe? If so that flue collar is reversible. It would be adding another bend so I am not sure if it would be much better.

Turning it sideways is a good idea, and I'd thought of it, but it gives me zero clearance on the right side of the stove. I'm afraid that's too little. Thanks anyway.

What about an adjustable elbow? You could lower the pipe a little with that.

Short legs and a bottom heat shield?

How about cutting the legs on a metal cutting band saw (or hack saw). VC made short legs that lowered the hieght by 2' or so, but a nice straight cut would do the trick.

I have the short legs on my Vigilant I with the coal kit, also burning a Resolute with the coal kit too.

Don't see many posts about coal stoves here.

Yes, I'm leaning back toward the shorter legs now, and maybe looking for a bottom heat shield. PBR, what kind of surface is underneath your Vigilant? Do you use a bottom shield? Is plain red brick brick enough for me, even without more stone or concrete underneath?

I just checked the temp under my Vig w/short legs. I can hold my hand on the tile and it's warm but not uncomfortable. It's running at 400deg surface temp at the moment. I have red tiles cemented to a layer of bricks, and moree bricks under that from an old fireplace base . So it has no wood under it. A heat shield would be easy to make by replacing the 3/8 bolts with studs and nuts to hold the legs on, and a sheet metal plate with holes to match the bolt pattern, spaced off the bottom by another set of nuts. Lowes has sheet steel sheets cheap.

I have the owners manual in a pdf file if you want need it, it has the specs for floor protection ect. Pm me with you email address and I'l send it to you.

I think burning wood in the Vig makes more heat from the underside of the stove than coal (which I'm burning now) so probably 1 layer of brick over wood would heat up more.

The Vig can poop out a lot of heat when you crank it!

Paul

Thanks Paul. I actually have the PDF manual already, but thanks for the offer. Does your Vigilant setup with short legs have a bottom heat shield, in addition to the multiple brick layers underneath? If I can't use the shorter legs safely, I'd sooner get a new smaller stove than bulk up the hearth.

And does anyone know how easy it is find the shorter legs that are sure to fit this stove? At least one site seems to sell a kit that they claim fits the Vigilant, but I worry that it wouldn't work on this older model.

This forum is incredible - someone just emailed me with an offer to sell the bottom shield cheap, and he's local.

No, I don't have the shield under my short legged stove, there's no wood under the bricks.

I still think you could cut the legs with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.