VC Warming Shelves/Racks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homieg9999

Dec 26, 2010
South Jersey Shore
Hey guys,

As my sig says, I have a 1980 VC Vigilant, and I was wondering if I'd be able to add warming racks to it. From the diagrams I've seen online it looks like there are screws that go into the stove (the top piece), but I looked for predrilled holes and didn't see anything. Are the warming racks for a different year or am I just not understanding the diagram correctly?

Thanks,

Lou

Don't have any shelves on mine.

Do the screws go into the stove, or are they just set screws? I know there are some other people running these older Vigilants who will jump in on this.

Wish I could be more help to you.

If you can't find the holes it's 'cuz they're not there! So the shelves have like a clamdp thing with a set screw underneath. It's hard to explain but it's simple and it works. I'm not clear though, do you have shelves already or are you looking? I've got a good set to sell. PM me if you wish. Happy Heating!!!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking they could be set screws...just trying to make sure before I drop the money on them. It's hard to tell from the diagram.

Lou

Set screws holes are typically on the underside of the overhanging lip at the top of the stove.

The threaded holes on the warming shelves are for set screws (allen caps are what came with the shelves but you can use whatever you like or fits).
The way they work is they fit over the outer lip of the side of the top of the stove and the set screw tightens up to the bottom of that lip locking the shelf in place.
I have a VC vigilant and I find that when I rest the front angle (dragon) on the outside front corner of the stove it is more sturdy when weight is placed on the shelf.
Hope this helps!
Happy burning!

The newer VCs had threaded holes to accept the screws, the older ones just used set screws with pressure as well as the almighty dragon. If you get the right set for your stove, it will fit just fine. And Vigiliant burners suggestion about the dragon placement works great btw

Possibly off-topic to the OP's post but I sure would like a set of these shelves for my Oslo...... I've been told the Jotul Firelight has optional shelves. Does anyone know if the Firelight shelves would fit on an Oslo?

From what I remember the Oslo had no warming shelf option. I'm kinda thinkin that the firelight stopped using them also when they went to a side door non cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.