Veganism, Human Health and Conspiracies.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I am landing on the Michael Pollan Credo: Eat Food, Not Too Much, Mostly Plants.
IOW,
Eat Food: Avoid junk food and highly processed foods
Not Too Much: Manage your weight
Mostly Plants: Minimize your animal products, including things like saturated fat, but you don't need to eliminate.

This is totally awesome, a set of dietary choices I can endorse for anyone. No one I can think of is going to get sicker or die younger if they follow this. I talked to 3 of my RN colleagues today, 44, 41 and 38 years experience respectively. I am a relative n00b with my lousy 26 years at the bedside in this group. All three of them agree with this exactly. Americans eat too much garbage, Americans are overweight, and Americans need to eat more vegetables. That is 149 years of RN experience coming up with exactly this same diet, today. My total time in three interviews aggregate was under 6 minutes.

All three of them also said to quit smoking, turn off the TV and get off the couch.

We do have a local cardiologist promoting the MOM diet. Don't eat anything that has a mother. No eggs, no dairy (milk is from nursing moms) , no beef, no fish, ...vegan. The doctor does look fabulous. I happen to know how old he actually is, most folks would guess 20-30 years low if asked his age after meeting him. If you have a strong family history of heart disease, getting as much of your protein from plants as reasonably possible might be beneficial.

When you are sick, especially if you have a wound that needs healing, you are going to need your maintenance protein, plus some other added protein to build new tissue to close the wound.

While I am intellectually OK with tofu, when I see "Faking Bacon" at the market, I see a highly processed food.

My partner has been a nurse for 20 ish years and, while I agree that most Americans are overweight, most nursing samples include only the worst off patients. That's not quite the case for a clinic nurse, but if you work at a hospital you exclusively see some of the least healthy folks. It's also hard to get sick people to absorb protein. Usually the GI goes into inflammation/infection mode and you don't get much absorption, and usually the body switches to breaking down muscle tissues for an amino acid source. Perhaps there are some processed amino acid supplements that could be absorbed easily, but it's hard getting nutrients into a sick person, and most Americans have some kind of disease process.

I have not read every post in this thread. But I will say I think @Dan Freeman hit the nail on the head. Refined sugar is #1 enemy for health in my opinion. #2 enemy for me is any kibd of processing chemical or preservative used in modern age. #3 enemy i think is mass produced foid of any kind. All the chemicals, same crop grown in same fields over and over. Personally I eat a high meat and high fruit diet. With some tree nuts and some mushrooms as well. This is what my body feels best on. I'm not nearly as educated as some here. But I my research I don't think there is a vegtable out there that has not been gmo over the course of human history. If I were to survive in the wild I would eat lots of berries mushrooms fruit from trees nuts from trees and lots of animal. Just my 2cents

If the average American drank as much water as they do pop ( soda / coke / whatever you want to call it ) we'd be a lot further ahead as a country health wise. The main ingredient ( corn sugar / syrup ) comes from a plant so I guess it's perfectly healthy for us.

Last edited:
Interesting read. I have always eaten the meat and potatoes diet as stated earlier in the thread and have been thinking how little nutritional value there is in a lot of what I have been eating (plus the need to lose weight). I am fortunate to be young and have already began exercising far more than I have in the past but certainly need to improve my diet.

There is a huge convenience factor to eating horrible food as it's easy to walk to the break room and grab a granola bar or similar. I am beginning to explore growing vegetables year round (summer we always have a great garden).

I do not know that I could completely switch away from meat, but certainly can cut out fried foods and processed junk.

most nursing samples include only the worst off patients. That's not quite the case for a clinic nurse, but if you work at a hospital you exclusively see some of the least healthy folks.
Yes and no.

Have you ever been hanging out at church before the service starts and slipped quietly out to make sure the AED is in the box on the wall because you see someone about to code?

One of the joys I take from going out to eat is seeing the vascularity on the forearms of professional food servers. The irony is they are in good enough health I never get to start IVs on them.

But something anyone can do is observe. I am not trying to incite you into getting a restraining order. Next time you are in the grocery store, start in the produce section and spend a reasonable (but not creepy) amount of time observing the sorts of people that include fresh produce in their regular diet. Maybe pick one apple and one avocado in 3-5 minutes.

The head to the frozen food section. Take your time comparing say store brand versus national brand tater tots. Look over the TV dinner selection. Be observant of the demographic in the aisle with you.

Which group do you want to be in 20 years from now?

On the other hand a couple Guinness in the evening dramatically lowers my risk of killing stupid people. So do I want to live to be 80 in a penitentiary somewhere with no Guinness for 20 years, or kick off in my mid 70s, at home, with Guinness in the fridge for tomorrow?
Best rationalization yet.

I am landing on the Michael Pollan Credo: Eat Food, Not Too Much, Mostly Plants.
IOW,
Eat Food: Avoid junk food and highly processed foods
Not Too Much: Manage your weight
Mostly Plants: Minimize your animal products, including things like saturated fat, but you don't need to eliminate.
This aligns well with the way we have eaten for the past 50 yrs. We eat almost no processed foods and no sodas or other items with corn syrup, etc. Up until the second child we were vegetarian, but then my wife craved proteins so chicken and fish were added. My wife is a good cook and makes most everything from scratch, always has. Our diet is pretty low fat, salt, and sugar, but not obsessively so. Unfortunately, my body creates extra cholesterol so saturated fats and unfiltered coffee are out. That said, we love food and eat well. Our diet is mostly Mediterranean and Asian. We grow as much as possible to ensure the best quality ingredients. Yes, our lifestyle costs more, but our doctor bills are lower. And we don't freak out the waiter with exotic order instructions when eating out.

The Bad News is that the environmentalists ARE going to come for your Cheeseburger!

it was worse than I thought.

And then they WILL come for your cheeseburger.

After that "they" will notice that 70-80% of the electric usage in my home audio system is used for bass reproduction, and come after my subwoofers and mid basses.

Blue tooth (and .mp3) audio sucks donkey parts.

I am very much in favor of pursing macro-biotic (local) diets where feasible. On the one hand, ordering a salad in upstate New York in January is going to bring some not impressive veg to your table, but ordering the same in Montreal tomorrow is asking for good food. How can that be, and how much oil are they burning to heat the green houses in Quebec?

On the other hand wild caught salmon and wild caught sardines bring omega 3 and omega 6 to my system that just aren't available anywhere else, save highly processed fish oil capsules.

Would it be 'better' to make fish oil capsules in Alaska and Portugal, or ship fish meat from Alaska and Portugal? I honestly do not know the answer to this question. The acreage on the planet that can fully support a completely healthy (macro biotic) diet with minimal diesel for shipping is probably very limited, perhaps 40 degrees N to 40 degrees S latitudes with a very broad brush.

Other than cabbage, potato and wild game meat, the vast majority of the food I eat at 64 degrees N is shipped in from Seattle.

I find this discussion very informative in many ways 👍 Also a rabbitt hole that leads to an endless amount of questions and queries when it turns to the future of mankind and Our time on this planet. Maybe its my beef fed brain? Or the 3 garbage bags I carry to the mailbox. causing the ruin of my body and Earth. I can never come up with a harmonious relationship of modern man and mother earth unfortunately. Is this reality? Should I feel guilty for the way I live? Should I feel overwhelmed or turm myself into a super human somehow? Maybe I should be asking chatgt what the answer is? Or should i call a professor? See , I'm in the rabbit hole. I kinda like it tho. Kinda like enjoying a cheeseburger that my wife cooks on the bbq. Is she trying to kill Me or the planet? Is she evil or a super wife? So many questions....

Rice production creates more methane than beef /dairy production.

WILL they come for rice ?

There is a method to reduce methane production in cattle by 99% by feeding them a chemical from seaweed.
Sounds like the cows don't like the taste.
Further study is needed to determine if the cattle can pass the the seaweed chemical to human via our consumption of the meat and milk. The chemical is a carcinogen to humans.

Will it be better to eliminate cattle or rice?
Or is it both?

But the seaweed that I start eating might cause cancer? We can make it so cows come off the "Bad" list but the world lives on rice i think?

What the hell is a guy to do? Is this life even mine or do I live my life for someone else's life? So many questions. I'm back in that rabbit hole aren't I? Am I asking too many questions? Don't mind me, I'm human.
Seaweed is the answer but it's not the answer?
Let's find the answer. or f#$k the answer ?
Having a beer should be good, but I had 2 on Monday.

Is there even an answer to humans living forever on Earth? Is forever real?

What's a guy to do? I think I will have a beer. A smoke and beer go great together. But that will kill.me. If I separate them in a 20 minute interval is that better than having them at the same time? So many questions.....

I'm going to bed. Maybe I will have more answers tomorrow. Or maybe I won't?

Maybe we can figure this all out together, or maybe someone has and they are keeping it a secret? Is there a perfect age to live to? Me and Earth. So many questions...Do I ever really die? Damn rabbit.

The end .....or is it?

I find this discussion very informative in many ways 👍 Also a rabbitt hole that leads to an endless amount of questions and queries when it turns to the future of mankind and Our time on this planet. Maybe its my beef fed brain? Or the 3 garbage bags I carry to the mailbox. causing the ruin of my body and Earth. I can never come up with a harmonious relationship of modern man and mother earth unfortunately. Is this reality? Should I feel guilty for the way I live? Should I feel overwhelmed or turm myself into a super human somehow? Maybe I should be asking chatgt what the answer is? Or should i call a professor? See , I'm in the rabbit hole. I kinda like it tho. Kinda like enjoying a cheeseburger that my wife cooks on the bbq. Is she trying to kill Me or the planet? Is she evil or a super wife? So many questions....

There is a method to reduce methane production in cattle by 99% by feeding them a chemical from seaweed.
Further study is needed to determine if the cattle can pass the the seaweed chemical to human via our consumption of the meat and milk. The chemical is a carcinogen to humans.

Or is it both?

But the seaweed that I start eating might cause cancer? We can make it so cows come off the "Bad" list but the world lives on rice i think?

What the hell is a guy to do? Is this life even mine or do I live my life for someone else's life? So many questions. I'm back in that rabbit hole aren't I? Am I asking too many questions? Don't mind me, I'm human.

What's a guy to do? I think I will have a beer. A smoke and beer go great together. But that will kill.me. If I separate them in a 20 minute interval is that better than having them at the same time? So many questions.....

Maybe we can figure this all out together, or maybe someone has and they are keeping it a secret? Is there a perfect age to live to? Me and Earth. So many questions...Do I ever really die? Damn rabbit.

The end .....or is it?
Life is a scam. Eat bugs!

Not really. I find that Costco has the best steaks!

On the other hand wild caught salmon and wild caught sardines bring omega 3 and omega 6 to my system that just aren't available anywhere else, save highly processed fish oil capsules.

Would it be 'better' to make fish oil capsules in Alaska and Portugal, or ship fish meat from Alaska and Portugal? I honestly do not know the answer to this question. The acreage on the planet that can fully support a completely healthy (macro biotic) diet with minimal diesel for shipping is probably very limited, perhaps 40 degrees N to 40 degrees S latitudes with a very broad brush.

The fish get omega -3 from eating algae. There are now many firms that grow the algae directly and remove the omega -3, specifically EPA and DHA. This is now available at scale and cheap enough to be added to dairy and plant milks as a fortification. I take one as a supplement, no fish involved. Algae oil is also cheap enough to be used as a feedstock for soaps and detergents (e.g. the 'Method' brand).

There are many omega -6 oils in plants.

Shipping food does not significantly increase its carbon footprint, with the exception of air transport. Usually shipping veggies from a warmer climate is lower carbon than growing locally in winter. Obviously WFPB staples like whole grains and legumes and roots and tubers are quite storable, as well shippable by slow methods. Having a heated greenhouse for some fresh greens and tomatoes is not going to get a WFPB diet anywhere close to the AGW impacts of, for example, beef consumption.

For humans to be truly green the only option is to go back to being cavemen. Hunter gatherers. Small population. No gov. No laws. Just survival. Besides that. Living green is a fallacy and a joke. Everything humans do is destructive.

Reactions: sloeffle
My partner has been a nurse for 20 ish years and, while I agree that most Americans are overweight, most nursing samples include only the worst off patients. That's not quite the case for a clinic nurse, but if you work at a hospital you exclusively see some of the least healthy folks. It's also hard to get sick people to absorb protein. Usually the GI goes into inflammation/infection mode and you don't get much absorption, and usually the body switches to breaking down muscle tissues for an amino acid source. Perhaps there are some processed amino acid supplements that could be absorbed easily, but it's hard getting nutrients into a sick person, and most Americans have some kind of disease process.

It is clear that there are some sick people, and rather old folks with reduced appetites who SHOULD worry about getting enough protein. A lot of those folks are already being told to supplement with protein fortified shakes. These can be either whey protein OR soy-based protein. So we don't need a dairy industry for these people.

For the rest of us, the dietary guidelines for how much protein we need (as children and adults) are very easily met met by a WFPB diet. Whole grains and legumes are both quite high in protein. It would be better to say that WFPB foods come in two categories... calorie dense (whole grains, legumes, root veggies) and not calorie dense (greens, crucifers, fruit). If you tried to live on the low calorie plant foods, you would not be able to get enough calories OR protein. The flip side is that the calorie dense staples you NEED to eat to get 2000+ calories a day have way more protein than needed. Unless you did something weird like getting all your calories from a single grain product, the 'quality' of that protein would not be an issue either.

The western diet has way more protein than needed, and there is evidence that an excess of protein consumption has negative health effects too.

@woodgeek if everyone went vegan. Don't you think we would starve? As in not enough farm land to produce what we as a whole would need to survive? In an all vegan world I see alot of animals being killed to protect crops. Animal population would surely rise as would destruction of more natural habitat for more and more farms. I don't doubt that eating only vegtables makes your body feel good. And good for you for doing it. I just don't think it's feasible for everyone to do it from a food production standpoint. And for some people's bodies a vegan diet is not good. I have tried vegan a few years ago and I feel weak and tired when I do it. If I eat beans for protein I have nonstop bathroom problems.

Or is it both?

The end .....or is it?

Right on. We all have to think about our own health, that of our families, and our impact, and try to make the decisions that are right for us.

Rice cultivation DOES release methane. Scientists can see in antarctic ice bubble methane when the Chinese first started large scale rice-production thousands of years ago, and the decent amount of global warming that that has caused ever since! They can also see the signals from the multiple Black Deaths and forest regrowth in Europe centuries ago. And the extra carbon added in the 1800s from harvesting and burning most of the world's whales.

Humans have been messing with the atmosphere and changing the climate for millennia.

I would say that without a moral implication, neither good nor bad.

I guess I would try to summarize it like this. We have remade the natural/wild world to suit our needs, and now control it, if perhaps poorly. We get the weather and biosphere that we make.

We are in OVERSHOOT. If the total mass of all land animals (birds and mammals) and fish 10,000 years ago was X, then nowadays just the mass of humans is 3X. The mass of all the animals we raise for food is 6X. So the Earth is generating and supporting 9X the amount of 'meat' that it did prehistorically!

And yet we walk around thinking that WE are living sustainably in balance with nature, or almost so. Our beef is grazing sustainably on some land that is not suitable for agriculture. The fish we eat is caught from a sustainable wild fishery. That the grains we eat could be grown organically without the addition of chemical fertilizers (e.g. just crop rotation and manure).

And NONE of those things are remotely close to being true bc of overshoot.

We have taken over MOST of the arable land in the entire world, and by bathing synthetic fertilizers on it (including mined phosphate), we are extracting 9X the human and animal feed biomass than the natural world used to produce for millions of years! We are extracting fish protein from the seas to the point that most stocks are badly depleted around the world. The waste and runoff of the 9X fertilizer and animal manure is running into the seas and creating huge algae blooms and dead zones.

And social media is saying that if we recycle our cardboard and switch to metal straws, global warming and the ocean will be just fine.

The major environmental organizations are telling people 'happy stuff' to keep the donations coming. And stuff where we can blame others (those terrible electric utilities and oil companies). And they are collecting big money from the Ag and food companies. Those companies aren't as stupid as the Tobacco and Oil companies... they captured the USDA, the school lunch program and the Sierra Club and Greenpeace (!). Imagine if they were handing out cigs in elementary school instead of govt cheese and chocolate milk. That is the world we live in.

The actual state of food production in the overshoot world is NUTS. We can talk about the merits of crop rotation, or organic farming or grazing animals sustainably... and all of that would work OK maybe in a world with about 300 million people in it, not 8000 million.

So we shouldn't be surprised that this effort of feeding 8 billion large mammals (humans) and another 80 billion food animals will perturb the atmosphere in a significant way. Its almost impossible to engineer an agriculture system that DOESN'T.

So, what we will do is go after different foods and methods of production that have the highest AGW impacts FIRST, and work our way down.

Maybe rice will need to go, or how it's grown will need to change.

As for beef, the methane problem is DUE to their cellulose digestion. Grain-fed beef on a feedlot are WAAAY greener, even if it doesn't appeal to our sustainable low impact beef FANTASY in overshoot world. The land required to grow the feed is a lot smaller, and the methane release is a lot less. So if we eliminated GRAZED cattle, we could reduce the AGW footprint of beef significantly. Most beef production NOW is already feedlot cattle (by pounds produced, not by land use). And of course, with animals grown indoors, we can capture and remove any methane, if we like, in principle. And those dead zones from manure (pigs and chickens), well, we could build sewage systems to process that waste (currently 10X the volume of human sewage, and mostly untreated).

But, but... won't that cost a lot? Yup. But probably not as much as we think.

Summary: Meat/fish production as currently is not sustainable, and has large negative 'externalities' for the natural world, in overfishing, land degradation, habitat destruction, sewage runoff and global warming. The industry does not pay for these externalities AND gets large govt subsidies to boot.

Sounds like the fossil companies, doesn't it? I suspect that politicians fear an increase in the price of meat as much as the price of gasoline.

So we will need to reduce the impacts of meat/fish production. That will be a combination of reduced consumption (which is good for our health) and engineering more sustainable production (which will look LESS natural). The true price of meat and fish is already far higher than we think (bc of subsidies and externalities), and our consumption is thus also a market failure. It needs subsidy reduction, and better engineering through regulation of land use, gas emissions and sewage runoff. And let the prices rise 2-3X.

People will then eat less (or pay more if they prefer), and they will be healthier for it.

@woodgeek if everyone went vegan. Don't you think we would starve? As in not enough farm land to produce what we as a whole would need to survive? In an all vegan world I see alot of animals being killed to protect crops. Animal population would surely rise as would destruction of more natural habitat for more and more farms. I don't doubt that eating only vegtables makes your body feel good. And good for you for doing it. I just don't think it's feasible for everyone to do it from a food production standpoint. And for some people's bodies a vegan diet is not good. I have tried vegan a few years ago and I feel weak and tired when I do it. If I eat beans for protein I have nonstop bathroom problems.

First off, I don't think a vegan world will ever happen.

But from a technical POV, the amount of animal protein coming from grazing is a small fraction of the total, today. Most animal protein is coming from animals fed grains and soybeans raised on farms, currently. Humans eat grains and legumes, not exactly the same as chicken feed, but pretty close. Humans can't live on broccoli and lettuce.

So cutting out the middle man means we would need significantly LESS plant agriculture to just feed humans. We would need to grow slightly different grains and legumes, that is all.

----------------

Switching to a WFPB diet is harder than I (and perhaps most people) appreciated. On this diet you need to eat a large amount of volume (until you are full) and you need to eat calorie dense foods.

If you don't get enough calories, you will feel like chit and weak. This is a funny problem to have, but a common one.

As for beans, I used to get gas when I ate a lot of beans. Now I eat beans all the time and no gas. ???

Scientists have shown that microbiome in folks on a Western/omnivore/low fiber diet is completely DIFFERENT from the microbiome of folks eating WFPB.

This hardly seems surprising if you think about it.

So, a lot of people get indigestion from eating fiber... and then eat less fiber. This is because they are getting a lot of their calories from meat, and eating low fiber for years and years. Their system adjusted.

As a corollary... a lot of older studies that suggested poor nutrient absorption for plant protein, or plant iron, or plant calcium or whatever, were carried out on folks eating a lot of meat everyday, and with a omnivore microbiome. When you repeat the experiments on people adjusted to a WFPB diet... the absorption of those amino acids and minerals is just great, thank you, bc their microbiome actually digests the food.

Indigestion comes from having undigested food in your GI. But to your microbiome, that is a wasted opportunity that will not last forever. Most folks say adapting to the new food takes 1-2 weeks. This is consistent with my experience.

After the adjustment, whenever I eat anything with fiber, I get very satiated and no desire to eat anything for 4-6 hours. Science suggests that this is due to short-chain fatty acids SCFAs like propionate that are produced by microbiome digesting non-cellulosic complex carbs. And that is where the large WFPB weight loss comes from, reduced hunger.

Last edited:
We are in OVERSHOOT

So we will need to reduce the impacts of meat/fish production. That will be a combination of reduced consumption (which is good for our health) and engineering more sustainable production (which will look LESS natural).
The astounding degree of our overshoot shows just how averse we are to reducing consumption. It's not how we roll. Instead we await miracle solutions from the same engineering oracle that got us into our situation in the first place. The campaign for dramatic reduction in energy consumption only seemed like the only way as long as there was no way solar and wind would ever put a dent in the grid or the gas pump, but here we are, watching a completely different story unfold, and marvelling at recent advances in BEV range that mean, thank god!, we don't actually have to drive less after all. Go vegan? Farm better? This will be the only way for as long as we think it's impossible to make a solar panel that directly synthesizes food.

Reactions: SpaceBus
The astounding degree of our overshoot shows just how averse we are to reducing consumption. It's not how we roll. Instead we await miracle solutions from the same engineering oracle that got us into our situation in the first place. The campaign for dramatic reduction in energy consumption only seemed like the only way as long as there was no way solar and wind would ever put a dent in the grid or the gas pump, but here we are, watching a completely different story unfold, and marvelling at recent advances in BEV range that mean, thank god!, we don't actually have to drive less after all. Go vegan? Farm better? This will be the only way for as long as we think it's impossible to make a solar panel that directly synthesizes food.

The unfortunate reality is that we are all selfish and unwilling to make sacrifices (and probably always will be this way). I can personally say that I also fall into this category but try to be somewhat conscious.

As you say until there are ways that have almost no effect on the consumer to improve things I don't see it getting much better.

Agreed. But we can always just make meat from thin air:

I have been watching this space for 20 years. Basically, you can grow autotrophic microbes from a collection of minerals, hydrogen gas, CO2 and N2. The organism gets all its energy needs from the hydrogen, and we can make the H2 from solar electrolysis. The bugs excrete CH4, which we can reform (by process heat) back into more H2. Closed system: energy and air products in, biomass protein and oils out.

Bc photosynthesis is so inefficient (<1% for conventional plants), and the above processes are >20% efficiency, an acre of solar panels could create as much high protein biomass as 20 acres of conventional agriculture.

Of course, in a non-vegan world, we will just use it to make chicken feed.

Right now, our overconsumption of animal products is because of both a large govt and a natural subsidy (much as the case with fossil fuels). It costs taxpayers and the natural world far more than what we pay in the grocery store. We could simply end that by cutting of govt subsidies, maybe taking them out of public schools, and making animal producers actually protect the environment (like pay a fair price for grazing, water and requiring sewage treatment).

In a world where an Impossible Whopper and a Whopper cost the same amount, why would I pick the Impossible? If however the latter cost 3X as much as currently (reflecting its true cost), the Impossible one looks a lot more appealing.

ETA: I last posted here about making food from hydrogen in 2013: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/oil-doom-doom-doom-plenty-doom.108355/page-4#post-1430449

Last edited:
Life is to short not to eat ice cream, who wants to outlive their children anyway. My father lived to 90 and had say goodbye to one of his kids, living to 75 or 80 with my family intact is my goal, a long life is not always a blessing.

Right on. We all have to think about our own health, that of our families, and our impact, and try to make the decisions that are right for us.

Rice cultivation DOES release methane. Scientists can see in antarctic ice bubble methane when the Chinese first started large scale rice-production thousands of years ago, and the decent amount of global warming that that has caused ever since! They can also see the signals from the multiple Black Deaths and forest regrowth in Europe centuries ago. And the extra carbon added in the 1800s from harvesting and burning most of the world's whales.

Humans have been messing with the atmosphere and changing the climate for millennia.

I would say that without a moral implication, neither good nor bad.

I guess I would try to summarize it like this. We have remade the natural/wild world to suit our needs, and now control it, if perhaps poorly. We get the weather and biosphere that we make.

We are in OVERSHOOT. If the total mass of all land animals (birds and mammals) and fish 10,000 years ago was X, then nowadays just the mass of humans is 3X. The mass of all the animals we raise for food is 6X. So the Earth is generating and supporting 9X the amount of 'meat' that it did prehistorically!

And yet we walk around thinking that WE are living sustainably in balance with nature, or almost so. Our beef is grazing sustainably on some land that is not suitable for agriculture. The fish we eat is caught from a sustainable wild fishery. That the grains we eat could be grown organically without the addition of chemical fertilizers (e.g. just crop rotation and manure).

And NONE of those things are remotely close to being true bc of overshoot.

We have taken over MOST of the arable land in the entire world, and by bathing synthetic fertilizers on it (including mined phosphate), we are extracting 9X the human and animal feed biomass than the natural world used to produce for millions of years! We are extracting fish protein from the seas to the point that most stocks are badly depleted around the world. The waste and runoff of the 9X fertilizer and animal manure is running into the seas and creating huge algae blooms and dead zones.

And social media is saying that if we recycle our cardboard and switch to metal straws, global warming and the ocean will be just fine.

The major environmental organizations are telling people 'happy stuff' to keep the donations coming. And stuff where we can blame others (those terrible electric utilities and oil companies). And they are collecting big money from the Ag and food companies. Those companies aren't as stupid as the Tobacco and Oil companies... they captured the USDA, the school lunch program and the Sierra Club and Greenpeace (!). Imagine if they were handing out cigs in elementary school instead of govt cheese and chocolate milk. That is the world we live in.

The actual state of food production in the overshoot world is NUTS. We can talk about the merits of crop rotation, or organic farming or grazing animals sustainably... and all of that would work OK maybe in a world with about 300 million people in it, not 8000 million.

So we shouldn't be surprised that this effort of feeding 8 billion large mammals (humans) and another 80 billion food animals will perturb the atmosphere in a significant way. Its almost impossible to engineer an agriculture system that DOESN'T.

So, what we will do is go after different foods and methods of production that have the highest AGW impacts FIRST, and work our way down.

Maybe rice will need to go, or how it's grown will need to change.

As for beef, the methane problem is DUE to their cellulose digestion. Grain-fed beef on a feedlot are WAAAY greener, even if it doesn't appeal to our sustainable low impact beef FANTASY in overshoot world. The land required to grow the feed is a lot smaller, and the methane release is a lot less. So if we eliminated GRAZED cattle, we could reduce the AGW footprint of beef significantly. Most beef production NOW is already feedlot cattle (by pounds produced, not by land use). And of course, with animals grown indoors, we can capture and remove any methane, if we like, in principle. And those dead zones from manure (pigs and chickens), well, we could build sewage systems to process that waste (currently 10X the volume of human sewage, and mostly untreated).

But, but... won't that cost a lot? Yup. But probably not as much as we think.

Summary: Meat/fish production as currently is not sustainable, and has large negative 'externalities' for the natural world, in overfishing, land degradation, habitat destruction, sewage runoff and global warming. The industry does not pay for these externalities AND gets large govt subsidies to boot.

Sounds like the fossil companies, doesn't it? I suspect that politicians fear an increase in the price of meat as much as the price of gasoline.

So we will need to reduce the impacts of meat/fish production. That will be a combination of reduced consumption (which is good for our health) and engineering more sustainable production (which will look LESS natural). The true price of meat and fish is already far higher than we think (bc of subsidies and externalities), and our consumption is thus also a market failure. It needs subsidy reduction, and better engineering through regulation of land use, gas emissions and sewage runoff. And let the prices rise 2-3X.

People will then eat less (or pay more if they prefer), and they will be healthier for it.

I agree that nobody is paying the true cost of energy and food. If consumers had to pay what the food is actually worth, diet habits would be very different

One thing I want to mention about microbial products in the large intestine: none if it is absorbed. The only things your large intestine or colon can absorb are water and salt. Unfortunately all of those volatile fatty acids (aka scfa) and microbial protein produced are lost in our waste. Only the stomach and small intestine are involved in nutrient absorption. I think there are other benefits of microbial activity in our large intestine, just not nutritional.

One thing I want to mention about microbial products in the large intestine: none if it is absorbed. The only things your large intestine or colon can absorb are water and salt. Unfortunately all of those volatile fatty acids (aka scfa) and microbial protein produced are lost in our waste. Only the stomach and small intestine are involved in nutrient absorption. I think there are other benefits of microbial activity in our large intestine, just not nutritional.
Here are two papers that suggest otherwise:
1. https://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(19)30508-6/pdf
2. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmicb.2016.00185/full

The first is an older paper that measured colonic absorption of 3 SCFAs in vivo in humans.
The second describes the formation of SCFAs in the colon, and their transport to the liver, in more detail.

The amount of SCFAs is not small, but they don't need to be nutritionally relevant to be part of the satiety response.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus