Vent Covers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verynycegirl

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
I have wall vents for my heating system....which of course I'm not using. They have the little levers you can use to close them but I still can feel tons of cold air coming through them. Do they sell some sort of vent cover? I did find magnetic ones to use with floor vents, but I need something that would work with wall vents. Any ideas short of using every towel in my house to cover them??

Tracy

elkimmeg said:
http://www.cetsolar.com/ventcover.htm
I think that is the Magnetic cover she was talking about . I dont know of any other covers but thoes myself. My thought would be to take the vent off and put plastic behind the cover . kinda of PITA i would think .

My wall vents are metal and the magnetic covers work fine. Have you tried a magnetic cover?

You can buy sheets of flexible magnetic material at a lot of craft supply stores and then cut them with scissors to the size and shape you need for any vent. Not that expensive, but they do usually come in pretty bright colours. I've been able to purchase plain white though and it works really well. A LOT less $$$ than the purpose built covers. Exact same stuff as in Elk's post. Looks like they've bought the stuff and repackaged it and are calling it a vent cover. (and I'm sure boosting the price)

Willhound

If you want free ones stop by any of the shops that make magnetic signs like you see stuck to cars. They screw up all the time and have to throw the material away.

Of course you might have a vent cover that says "First Baptist Charch" or something like that.

Don't cover the Vents. I run the fan on my furance to move the air around the house better. It evens the house temp out. No hot spots See Ya

You don't want to cover all the vents, just the vents in the rooms that are closed off for the winter. That way you can circulate the air but not waste it where it isn't needed.

If you intent to use the air handler, do not cover more than 20% of your vents in any particular zone you plan to use. Doing so may overload the air handler.

Status
Not open for further replies.