vent question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin641774

Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
Was wanting to know if anyone seals their vent up on the exhaust blower with high heat foil tapeor high temp silicon reason for asking was mine was sealed up with silicon,never a problem but this year I done some remodeling and pulled the stove took it outside and used the leaf blower on it and the silicon was hard to clean off even with acetone was wanting an easy connect and disconnect method as I am planning on pulling it out every year doing this Thanks for any input.

I use the foil tape but the vent pipe I use, Biovent, has gaskets for sealing between sections. The tape is just extra insurance against leakage...

Reactions: pete7713
What type of venting are you using? Many require RTV. I have seen many postings of folks using high temp silicone tape on seams - especially on elbow joints. I think it's found near normal electrical tape in stores that carry it.

I use self-sealing, high temp silicone tape except at the stove connection and at the thimble, where I use RTV. I use Duravent which performs a pretty good seal on its own.

Thanks I think I will just use the the high temp foil tape then so next year I will be able to haul it outside and clean it after the burning season it will be so much easier then having to clean silicon off the joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.