Vented Propane Wall Heater: Season Startup Question/Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
My neighbors have an outbuilding which is primarily heated with a vented wall heater running on propane. Its the kind that you might
find in an engineer's field office trailer.. actually, I think thats where it came from. Every summer they shut the flow off at the heater
and tanks, and every fall, turn it back on again and try to re-light the pilot light. However, every fall it seems that there is no flow of gas
coming back through the line. They usually call the heating guy, but I'm trying to get it figured out first. I've checked all of the connections.
All of the valves are on and gas should be flowing. Is there anything else I should check?

Oh yeah.. they got a delivery over the summer.

I'm going to take a wire and try to snake-out some of the line.

Instructions for lighting these gas stoves usually say turn knob to pilot and hold for 15 seconds while hitting piezo-electric spark switch. And if stove doesnt light turn off and repeat.... Here is how you do it... Hold gas pilot switch in for 50-60-70 seconds while continuously pressing start spark....at about 50 seconds the sucker will start.

The thing about a gas pilot lighter is this: If the stove fails to light during the alloted time , a mechanism shuts off the gas to protect the lighter of the stove and you do have to wait 5 minutes before starting the process again as gas is heavier than air and settles in the bottom of the stove ,so an explosion could occur, but is most ridiculous.... ...IT TAKES 5 MINUTES IN THE OFF POSITION TO RECYCLE THE STOVES PILOT LIGHT TO lIGHTABILITY.

Just concentrate on your first light and leave the stove pilot depressed up to 90 seconds while continuiously pressing the spark igniter.... That sucker will start, I garunntee as the Cajun Cook would say

You'll be a hero
Joey Chang

There is a black knob at the gas inlet marked "pilot" and "off", but there is no spring in it,
so I don't need to hold it on.. its either on or off. I'll try it again later on. Thanks for tip.
I didn't know about the safety mechanism.

how old is the stove? Hold the pilot in not on

Maybe 15 years old? There is a push-button igniter, similar to that on a gas grill.
There are two gas valves that control flow.. they are typical (ball?) valves.
Anyway, one controls flow into the stove, and the other is right at the last point
where gas line in enters the stove. It has two settings: off, and pilot.

homebrewz said:
Maybe 15 years old? There is a push-button igniter, similar to that on a gas grill.
There are two gas valves that control flow.. they are typical (ball?) valves.
Anyway, one controls flow into the stove, and the other is right at the last point
where gas line in enters the stove. It has two settings: off, and pilot.

Try using a propane torch with a small flame; at 15 years the igniter may not have enough spark. Also if there is a drain line for any gunk, shut off the gas and drain.
Ed
Check for dead spiders and webs which glog the orfice if there is no propane smell.

homebrewz said:
My neighbors have an outbuilding which is primarily heated with a vented wall heater running on propane. Its the kind that you might
find in an engineer's field office trailer.. actually, I think thats where it came from. Every summer they shut the flow off at the heater
and tanks, and every fall, turn it back on again and try to re-light the pilot light. However, every fall it seems that there is no flow of gas
coming back through the line. They usually call the heating guy, but I'm trying to get it figured out first. I've checked all of the connections.
All of the valves are on and gas should be flowing. Is there anything else I should check?

All I can say is have patience. In every propane system if there is no pressure on the piping system air WILL get into the lines. Either crack the union or fitting loose at the appliance until the air clears the system or hold the pilot down until hell freezes over and away you go.

It's a very common problem, one which I face at this time of year over and over again in my gasfitting profession.

Status
Not open for further replies.