venting B vent stove question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Dec 28, 2012
I want to vent a Hearthstone B vent natural gas stove in to an existing fireplace chimney ... can I get away with the 4 inch pipe up thru a sealed damper and then 6 feet or so ( more than required 5 ft vertical) up in to a 9 inch square masonry flue liner in excellent condition ... chimney is inside the structure and is about 28 feet high ... would rather not do full flue liner pipe if possible ... will I have ok draft ?

That wont give you ideal draft. You would be venting a 4" pipe that has 12.56 sq. inches into a flue that has lets say inside it is 7x7, that is 38.47 sq inches. So you would be venting the stove into a flue more than 3x larger than it should be using. I would check online for some chimney liner kits for 4". A 4"x30' liner kit should be fairly cheap. Just spend a few more dollars and do it right the first time. You don't want to have more issues down the road and end up spending more.

Status
Not open for further replies.