Venting Enviro Mini in New Construction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joelkranz

Aug 12, 2014
New York
In new construction, our Enviro Mini pellet stove will sit on the interior floor/wall exactly where the red X is drawn on this picture between the two windows. We had planned to vent vertically through the roof, but as you can see, the standing seam that holds the snow guard rail is also located exactly between the windows and so is the cathedral ceiling joist -- so both would need to be cut to install vent pipe straight up and out. Choices seem to be either using interior elbows in the pipe run to come out on the flat part of the roof, or we could consider a horizonal through-the-wall vent. Looking at the picture, not sure there is enough space between the windows to do a horizontal vent per code. The space between the windows is 36". The large picture frames on top part of windows do not open, but the bottom small rectangles are operable awning windows. Would it be ok to vent through the wall between the windows (leaving about 14" on either side) so long as termination is at least 12" above the operable awning windows? The siding is thermally modified wood planks. Any/all ideas appreciated!

20230416_121233.jpg

You can pretty much do it any way you like as long as you respect Envrio's clearances.
I think I would come straight out to a tee then up to below the eves to a 45 deg, straight pipe, to a 45 deg
clearing the eve and straight up 24 in. above the roof line at the eve to termination
Only one hole no holes in the roof to seal from leaks
I know clear as mud
Welcome to the forum

Take a look at the installation manual for your stove. It will tell you what clearances are required for the exhaust termination. Just grabbing any old manual from the Enviro series, it looks like it must be 48" above any window that may be opened (the awning windows). If those non-movable windows are tall enough to get a 24" clearance from eaves and 48" from the top of the awning windows then you don't need to go over the roof.

1681801399447.png

I am surprised they don't reduce the requirements if you have an Outside Air Intake.

Tx, the Enviro Mini has same clearance chart. Seems as if best bet is to just pop out horizontally exactly between the windows where I marked in yellow on the attached picture. So long as I am 24" below roof soffit/eave and 12" from either window edge, should be okay. How far out from the wall (horizontally) does the pipe and end cap need to come?

Inked20230416_121233.jpg

A related question -- will a horizontal vent pipe with end cap protruding 12" out from between the windows mean that windows will be dirtied by smoke/ash all the time??

Tx, the Enviro Mini has same clearance chart. Seems as if best bet is to just pop out horizontally exactly between the windows where I marked in yellow on the attached picture. So long as I am 24" below roof soffit/eave and 12" from either window edge, should be okay. How far out from the wall (horizontally) does the pipe and end cap need to come?

View attachment 312098

That looks good to me. I actually like that you are thinking about doing the vertical inside as then you reap the benefits of the heat off the pipe too before going outside the house envelope. Although others have a point that having the clean-out T outside would be nice too. OOH - make sure it isn't going to get whacked by snow dumpage from that roof. It looks as if that overhang is deep enough, but shadows can be deceiving.

I believe the final termination (where the exhaust comes out) should be 12" from the siding.

A related question -- will a horizontal vent pipe with end cap protruding 12" out from between the windows mean that windows will be dirtied by smoke/ash all the time??
Well, that is a sticky question. Some people have issues with soot on their siding/windows, others don't. It probably has to do with prevailing winds and/or stove settings. Even if the windows got dirty, it's not like it would get as dirty or as quickly as the stove glasss does. Take a quick hose to it in spring and you would be good.

Reactions: ABusWrench