Venting pellet flue through concrete/stucco

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Slyther

Jan 9, 2018
Southeastern PA
I am venting a pellet stove to the outside wall from my finished basement (2 foot above gradient). After the inside wall thimble, beyond the studs I am at concrete block with a stucco exterior.

My question is, do I need to use the thimble on the outside or can I just run a 3.5" hole through the concrete block and stucco to run the vent pipe directly out and not have to enlarge the hole to fit the thimble (I will be adding a 90 degree bend to cap off the pipe at 3-4 feet above ground level)? If so, can I use concrete patch inside and around the vent pipe in the concrete and stucco around it after I put it in (to seal it in place, similarly to a dryer vent)?

Thanks in advance.

Under your stucco is usually a rigid Styrofoam that is pretty flammable... best to call and ask your local wett inspector

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

You have a very similar setup to mine. I did just what you are asking about. Interior use the thimble, exterior just a hole slightly larger than the pipe and seal with concrete patch mix.

As long as there is no insulation behind the stucco as zrock mentioned. Mine was just a thin coat of stucco applied directly to the concrete block on the outside.