venting question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsvo

Jun 17, 2008
vt
WAS WONDERING ABOUT NEW INSTALL OF STOVE IN MY DOWNSTAIRS. PERFECT PLACE TO PUT STOVE TO SPREAD HEAT IS IN CENTER OF DOWNSTAIRS ON BACKWALL. BUT THERE IS A DECK THERE THAT IS ABOVE THE GROUND ABOUT 48 INCHES HIGH. WAS WONDERING IF THIS WOULD WORK OR DO I MOVE TO DIFFERENT LOCATION WHERE THERE IS WIDE OPEN HIEGHTS? FRIEND WHOM INSTALLS REGULAR FURNACES AND GAS UNITS THINKS IT WILL WORK,BUT LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK. TRYING TO MAKE PLANS BEFORE I GET A STOVE. STILL LOOKING AT ENVIRO,NAPOLEON, AND ST. CROIX. LOOKING FOR ANY FEEDBACK , ON STOVES AND INSTALL IDEAS. THANKS

Suggestion number 1. Please do not type in all upper case as it is difficult to read and in computer lingo means you are yelling.

Suggestion number 2. Not so sure I would run my vent pipe through the deck if I understand what you are saying. As far as just running the vent pipe out and keeping it below the deck, not so sure code will allow that and even if it does the smell would drive you off the deck. Can you run the vent pipe out another direction??? The central location in the basement is good for the heat to spread but just keep in mind a pellet stove is more an area heater and unless you have a great system to distribute the heat upstairs, it will stay in the basement. Is it a finished basement??? Cement walls will eat your heat.

Suggestion number 3. Which ever stove you decide on make sure you can still get one for this season as the supply appears dangerously low. Also check for pellet availability in your area as that seems to be under strain as well. Just read some of the threads here to get a feel of what I am talking about. I am using a Quadra-fire insert and have used Quadra-fire products for the last 15 years or so. I am happy with them. Here is a link to their site if you are interested.

http://www.quadrafire.com/

pipe would run under deck,not thru deck. stove could be moved down farther from center of wall,and not run out under deck.basement is partially finished,house is 12 yrs old and very well insulated. i know i wont get full heat to upstairs but will be leaving door open and putting vents in floor. house is 1500sq.ft. im finding pellets to be a problem,but i can get a stove. thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.