Venting questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhhamm

Dec 16, 2009
Utah
I am planning on putting a pellet stove in my basement. My basement is below grade with a concrete wall. Outside the concrete wall the grade starts about 20 inches down the wall. So if I leave a few inches of concrete above the hole for a fire stop my exhaust is going to be below the 18" min. The only solution I have come up with is to use two 45deg. connectors and a 1' piece of pipe outside the wall to get it up high enough with out using more than 270 deg of direction change. I would have a tee and 90 inside along with a 6 foot piece of straight then horizintal through the wall the a 45 1' straight a 45 the exhause cap.

Can anyone tell me the reason for having the exhaust greater than 18" above grade. My exhaust will be over a concrete slab, but I would hate to have my house burn down for what ever reason and give the insurance company a reason to not cover it.

Anyone else have ideas for me??

burn what said:
I am planning on putting a pellet stove in my basement. My basement is below grade with a concrete wall. Outside the concrete wall the grade starts about 20 inches down the wall. So if I leave a few inches of concrete above the hole for a fire stop my exhaust is going to be below the 18" min. The only solution I have come up with is to use two 45deg. connectors and a 1' piece of pipe outside the wall to get it up high enough with out using more than 270 deg of direction change. I would have a tee and 90 inside along with a 6 foot piece of straight then horizintal through the wall the a 45 1' straight a 45 the exhause cap.

Can anyone tell me the reason for having the exhaust greater than 18" above grade. My exhaust will be over a concrete slab, but I would hate to have my house burn down for what ever reason and give the insurance company a reason to not cover it.

Anyone else have ideas for me??

You'll need the exhaust greater than 18" above ground depending upon how you are obtaining your combustion air, other vents and windows within a certain distance from your exhaust.

See your stoves installation manual for all venting requirements it is a matter of safety and the ability to maintain a proper fire in your stove.

I plan on putting an OAK kit on, but I don't see any where in the instructions that it make a difference on that measurement. I am going to be installing a Harman stove not sure which model P68,61 or XXV.

burn what said:
I am planning on putting a pellet stove in my basement. My basement is below grade with a concrete wall..........

Burn, just a quick question......is this a finished basement? Are you just trying to heat the basement?

burn what said:
I plan on putting an OAK kit on, but I don't see any where in the instructions that it make a difference on that measurement. I am going to be installing a Harman stove not sure which model P68,61 or XXV.

Your OAK intake will have to be a certain distance away from your exhaust vent outlet it must also be lower than your vent outlet or else your OAK will become your exhaust when you loose power.

It is very easy to get things wrong when doing a basement install.

Also please answer the question that Macman is asking, as it is asking a lot of any stove to heat an unisulated/unfinished basement area.

The basement is not finished yet, but part of the finishing is to insulate and install a pellet stove. I am only trying to heat the basement they always tend to be colder than the upper level. I our previous house a multilevel we had a Whitfield in the basement for 12 trouble free years. We only ran it at night when we were in the basement, and that is most likely what we will do with this one. Our natural gas if fairly cheap in Utah and my house is extreamly well insulated. My heating bills rarely exceed 120/month so the stove is more for the added comfort it will provide.

i think the 18" is for snow. if the snow drifts up and covers the vent outlet the you try to lite the house will fill with smoke. can you go up and go over the sill plate and go out the band board between the joist or is the joist running the other way.

rickwa said:
i think the 18" is for snow. if the snow drifts up and covers the vent outlet the you try to lite the house will fill with smoke. can you go up and go over the sill plate and go out the band board between the joist or is the joist running the other way.

That is correct, however, there are still other requirements that can increase that.

For example that would be fine if the OAK was located a decent distance away from the vent (nothing like sucking in oxygen poor air to cause a messy burn) and there were no windows, doors, or other vents within a few feet.

The install manual lays it all out, as long as the OP remembers that the 18" applies to only part of the requirements and all others still have to be met as well.

burn what said:
The basement is not finished yet, but part of the finishing is to insulate and install a pellet stove. I am only trying to heat the basement they always tend to be colder than the upper level. I our previous house a multilevel we had a Whitfield in the basement for 12 trouble free years. We only ran it at night when we were in the basement, and that is most likely what we will do with this one. Our natural gas if fairly cheap in Utah and my house is extreamly well insulated. My heating bills rarely exceed 120/month so the stove is more for the added comfort it will provide.

Glad you are going to insulate and finish things off, the reason Macman mentioned it is because a lot of folks have tried the other way only to discover that the heat exits through the basement walls at a higher rate than most of the stoves can produce.

Back when I was burning wood I had a wood stove in my living room... when I had the $$$ I bought a BIG fabricated steel stove and moved the older stove into my unfinished basement. I could never figure out why the older stove would heat my 3400 sq. ft. home so nicely but couldn't keep my basement 65F... unfinished walls was the answer.

I thought about going over the seal plate buy you are not supposed to have joints conceilded in the celing. I would like the look of that much better but not at that expense. Anyone else have some ideas????

Can you go out the up 4' or so?

Status
Not open for further replies.