Venting through HEADER JOIST to get through to exterior?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stejus

Minister of Fire
Jul 29, 2008
Central MA
The only way to get up and out in my preferred location is to go through ceiling and make a 90 degree between floor joists and out through header joist. I have 2x8 floor joists and 16in on center so I'm sure there's more than enough room in there to place the vent pipe. Is there any code restriction to this approach?

Thanks,
Steve

It sounds like it could be done. A 2x8 is typically 7.25" and if you are installing 3" pellet pipe (my PV Pro is 3-5/8" O.D.) then you are removing just over 50% of the height of the 2x8.

You are going to have to submit plans and get a permit from your building inspector, so I would let him tell you if it is code or not.

Steve

Shortstuff said:
It sounds like it could be done. A 2x8 is typically 7.25" and if you are installing 3" pellet pipe (my PV Pro is 3-5/8" O.D.) then you are removing just over 50% of the height of the 2x8.

You are going to have to submit plans and get a permit from your building inspector, so I would let him tell you if it is code or not.

Steve

From what I know about structural framing (limited), this header board is not used for load support. It's there to tie in the floor joists and keep them from moving (twisting). I guess the only concern then is the potential heat build up in this cavity. I'm sure others have done this in their basement (those who have full concrete walls). I know dryer vents can go through the header board but stove pipes are not dryer vents.

The pre-install visit is today and I'm hoping he can confirm for me.

Thanks,
Steve

Stejus, I live in an old ranch 1945 vintage and the rim joist (same thing I think) is only 2x8 so I found I could rent a core drill rig at rental place for $ 100.00 a day. Told my building inspector I would bore 4" hole through foundation. He said great idea and you will not have any clearance issues. (0 inches through cement) and wont have to buy a thimble so it offsets half the cost. So net extra cost to do it this way 50 bucks round mnumbers. Hope this helps I think it's way safer, no wood contact at all.

bostonbaked said:
Stejus, I live in an old ranch 1945 vintage and the rim joist (same thing I think) is only 2x8 so I found I could rent a core drill rig at rental place for $ 100.00 a day. Told my building inspector I would bore 4" hole through foundation. He said great idea and you will not have any clearance issues. (0 inches through cement) and wont have to buy a thimble so it offsets half the cost. So net extra cost to do it this way 50 bucks round mnumbers. Hope this helps I think it's way safer, no wood contact at all.

Turns out installing came on site and said no way to going through joist rims (to many 90 degree's and window clearance issues above. Have to put stove in corner of other room where I hope i don't have venting issues (clearance's). Oh well..

Good luck. My house is so small I had exactly one place I could have a vent. pita

Status
Not open for further replies.