Ventis HEI 170 vs 240, not sure which size to pick?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tristan15

Mar 18, 2022
North Carolina
Hi Everyone,

This is all new to me, I am looking to get a wood burning insert installed in an existing fireplace. I am located in Western NC (in the mountains).

Here is my floorplan, the insert would be in the basement (basement has a double window and is on street level, right side is burried) on the bottom right corner, 7 ft from the wall (there is an existing chimney).

We currently have mini split systems, they do a decent job in the bedrooms but the basement, living room and dining do not get that warm in the winter.

I was thinking about getting a wood stove insert and possibly installing grates/vents between my basement and living room to allow for the hot air to rise and heat up the upper level.

Square foot of the basement is 27'x13'= 350 sf not including the bathroom, and upstairs is the same for living and dining not including the kitchen, so 700 SF total and probably 1100 SF if I were to include the bathroom downstairs and kitchen. The whole house is 1800 SF or so.

I am not sure what model to pick between the Ventis HEI 170 and 240, any recommendations ?

Thanks a lot!

ac1.jpgac2.JPG

We don't see many Ventis stoves yet, but they share parentage with Drolet, Osburn, etc. These two look like variations on the Drolet 1500i and 1800i which are popular and often reviewed. The basement area is not large. and it doesn't look like a ton of heat will go up the stairwell so the smaller of the two probably will suffice.

Drolet is a very well known value line produced by SBI. They also make Valcourt, Osburn, Ventis, Century, and Enerzone stoves.

Thank you! I will probably go with the Drolet 1500 then. Do you know the website FactoryPure ? They seem to be offering the most competitive price, almost too good to be true that I am questioning it ?

Also, is it worth it to get an insulated chimney liner vs non insulated ? (almost double the price to go with insulated).

This place has free shipping as well.

Thank you! I will probably go with the Drolet 1500 then. Do you know the website FactoryPure ? They seem to be offering the most competitive price, almost too good to be true that I am questioning it ?

Also, is it worth it to get an insulated chimney liner vs non insulated ? (almost double the price to go with insulated).
No, I have not heard of them. Make sure they are legit and that there are no surprises or necessary add-ons that boost the cost.
If one has a Costco account, they were selling the kit there for a good price too. Lowes sells them too.