Ventis Slips (Not telescoping pipe)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hesta

Mar 21, 2017
Idaho
We finally have our upstairs chimney put in. However, not sure about the last piece. The chimney went like this...

4' Telescoping pipe on top of the stove
4' piece of stove pipe
6" slip
ceiling box and adapter, then the Class A

Now, I've had some confusion online, a lot of places refer to the telescoping pipe as slips. However, Ventis had the telescoping pipe marked as just that, and this piece marked 6" slip did not telescope, it just fit into the ceiling box adapter. My question is, the 6" slip had holes for screws in one end, the part that fit into the plain stove pipe in the middle. The 6" slip did NOT have holes drilled in it for the ceiling box adapter, nor did the ceiling box adapter have holes drilled into it.

Do we need to drill some pilot holes for screws there, or does it just sit as is? The 12" slip downstairs was the same. Just slid onto the thimble adapter, no pre-drilled holes for anything. Everything, and I mean everything else had pre-drilled holes.

And code requires a minimum of 3 screws, correct? Or do we need to put in all 4?

You mentioned Ventis, stove pipe and Class A pipe, Not sure which you are referring to?
In their Class A pipe they offer a Telescoping pipe - that will extend from 14" to 22". In the Ventis Stove Pipe they have Double wall and Single Wall Telescoping sections.
In the Black Double Wall they have a "Slip Section", and in Black single wall they have a Slip Connector that adjusts from 4"-16"

Reactions: Hesta
You mentioned Ventis, stove pipe and Class A pipe, Not sure which you are referring to?
In their Class A pipe they offer a Telescoping pipe - that will extend from 14" to 22". In the Ventis Stove Pipe they have Double wall and Single Wall Telescoping sections.
In the Black Double Wall they have a "Slip Section", and in Black single wall they have a Slip Connector that adjusts from 4"-16"

It's called a slip section, and it does not telescope.

These Slip Sections slide over standard pipe for adjusting purposes.
This pipe will, (what ever you want to call it) slips, slides, over the female end of the double wall pipe, and allows you additional adjustment, exactly like a Telescoping pipe...but differently??

Ventis Double Wall Black Stove Pipe has "Slip Sections" in 6" 12" and 18" Lengths, in 6" 7" & 8" Diameters.

Reactions: Hesta
These Slip Sections slide over standard pipe for adjusting purposes.
This pipe will, (what ever you want to call it) slips, slides, over the female end of the double wall pipe, and allows you additional adjustment, exactly like a Telescoping pipe...but differently??

Ventis Double Wall Black Stove Pipe has "Slip Sections" in 6" 12" and 18" Lengths, in 6" 7" & 8" Diameters.

Ah, okay, I think I get it. It's a little bit like "cheating the connector" with EMT, only with chimney pipe and no connector. They make the slide on space a little longer, so you can cheat the pipe a tad if needed. Does that sound right?