Q&A Ventless Logs make mantle too hot !

QandA Posted By QandA, Jun 13, 2004 at 2:20 PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QandA

    New Member 2.
    Staff Member

    Nov 27, 2012

    I have a majestic 42" fireplace which is 3 years old. My problem is- the mantle starts 7" above and 8" out from the opening. My unvented gas log heats this so much you cant touch it. The flu is left open now.. My question is: Can I buy a new front or should I tile around the front to deflect the heat away from the mantle?


    Are you using the "hood" that can be purchased to deflect heat away from the fireplace front? Even if you are- you may still be too close. A good standard "rule of thumb" is the one you are using..if it's too hot to touch- it's too hot ! You might have to make a custom "mantle heat shield" in addition to the hood. Worse of all- you may have to remove the mantle if nothing else works..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page