Vermiculite baffle replaced with steel

Shaun643 Posted By Shaun643, Jan 23, 2019 at 1:51 PM

Dismiss Notice
System Upgrade. Monday 9/16 7am central time.Thanks for your patience.
  1. Shaun643

Shaun643
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Michigan (Thumb)
    I was wondering if anyone has replaced their vermiculite baffle at the top of their stove with a steel baffle. My has cracked over time and I need to replace it. Was thinking of using steel just wanted to know if that was ok to do.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MAD MARK

MAD MARK
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 31, 2016
    Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Not a good idea just get the proper replacement part and treat it right it should last a long time

4. vwmike

vwmike
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 7, 2013
    Loc:
    Chilliwack, BC, Can.
    I had a regency insert that had the fragile vermiculite baffle. After breaking one twice I made a new one out of 1” steel plate, worked great never warped.

5. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    What are you doing to your baffle that you keep breaking it? Mine is 10 years old with no problems. The problem with steel is there something not much of anything insulation value there and that means the fir box temps will be lower. Not to mention if it really is 1 inch thick you now have 100 lbs resting on the tubes meant to support 10lbs.

Easy Livin’ 3000 and webby3650 like this.
  6. vwmike

vwmike
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 7, 2013
    Loc:
    Chilliwack, BC, Can.
    Oh long story. Stove was in the great room of a lodge we used to work at. Guests would often use the stove over the weekends in the winter and where obviously rough with it.

7. SpaceBus

SpaceBus
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2018
    Loc:
    Downeast Maine
    What if you used an insulation blanket on the steel baffle?

8. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    Still though 1” thick!! is way too much. Think I would have tried 3/8”. The old lopis would use firebrick and lightweight angle iron supports but those didn’t bear their weight on the thin tubes.

bholler likes this.
  9. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    It would make it better but still not as the stove was designed

10. edyit

edyit
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 30, 2014
    Loc:
    Wilmington NY
    a piece of 1/8" stainless with a lot of holes in it over the tubes but under the vermiculite baffle would provide the protection you're looking for and keep the same insulating quality wouldn't it? I think i remember someone on here making something like this.

11. vwmike

vwmike
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 7, 2013
    Loc:
    Chilliwack, BC, Can.
    Agreed it was goofy and overkill, we had some 1” plate plate kicking around, was my dads idea, lol. Pretty sure the stove is still in service 15 years later...

12. Trey1979

Trey1979
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 20, 2018
    Loc:
    Mississippi
    How delicate are the vermiculite baffles as far as taking them out cleaning the chimney

2018 drolet ht2000

13. stovelark

stovelark
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2009
    Loc:
    SE CT
    Never a good idea to modify an appliance, hard to explain if there is ever an issue. Ceramic baffles hold up well unless they get whacked and/or messed with. My Enviro's is 8 seasons old and are the original, but I will admit I have a spare set along with an extra glass if ever needed- so far that has worked, just having them "in case of...."

14. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Some are pretty delicate others are not. There is allot of variation from manufacturers. Vermiculite board is one of the more durable materials.

15. Trey1979

Trey1979
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 20, 2018
    Loc:
    Mississippi
    I think that is whats in my stove looks like 1 inch foam type stuff im about to sweep it for the first time

2018 drolet ht2000

16. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The HT2000 has a C-Cast baffle. The C-Cast baffle is made of an aluminosilicate fiber material that is compressed with a binder to form a rigid board.