Vermont Casting Defiant Intrepid.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Photobug

Sep 15, 2017
Jackson WY
My neighbor has an older VC Defiant Intrepid stove. He bought a bunch of them from the local National Park service when they switched out stoves. It is wrapped in plastic so I have not seen it yet or gotten the serial number. He is asking $250 for it and I am interested as we have a chimney pipe but have no stove yet.

What should i look for when inspecting it?

If needed are there parts for all years, and models of these?

Thanks for any help.

Which is it, Defiant or Intrepid, or both? What age is the stove or model number? There are very few parts for the original model Defiant or Intrepid.

I am a bit confused too with the name?

According to the stove it is both. Unfortunately, it got water under the tarp and is very rusty. I have restored some cast iron tops for machines (table saw). Would it be possible or worth restoring this stove?

20210515_110750.jpg 20210515_110856.jpg 20210515_110848.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like VC encore 0028. It is likely 40 years old. Very expensive to fix, the inner parts will run you 7-800 $

Yes, it's a Defiant Encore. It looks to be 1989 vintage. If he will provide two for $250 so that you have a parts stove it might be a worthwhile summer project. This is a complex stove. Here is a parts list to peruse:

Yes, it's a Defiant Encore. It looks to be 1989 vintage. If he will provide two for $250 so that you have a parts stove it might be a worthwhile summer project. This is a complex stove. Here is a parts list to peruse:

I think he bought a bunch of them from the US Park, built one that he has in his home sold the rest. This is the last and only one left, so no 2 for 1 unfortunately.

I would walk away from that stove if you can. Too much work.

Reactions: Photobug
Walk away. Great stoves but that one is a hot mess unless you own your own media blaster.

I think he bought a bunch of them from the US Park, built one that he has in his home sold the rest. This is the last and only one left, so no 2 for 1 unfortunately.
If this is the last of the batch, then it may have been the one with the most issues. Pass. There will be others that will take less to get in shape.