Vermont Casting Encore vs. Hearthstone I

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rbjaeger

Sep 3, 2008
minnesota
I'm looking at a used Encore Defiant catalytic($1200) and a Hearthstone I($1600).
I think these prices are a little high and will negotiate. What stove is a better choice?
I know there are a lot of variables, but assuming they are both in good working order and functional.
This is for a 1200 sf cabin with loft.

Rbj

That may be a big assumption. I probably would choose neither. But it might depend on whether this a live in home or a weekend cabin.

Particle Man said:
I would think twice about buying a VC until their new management figures out their warranty issues.

these used stoves have no warranty so I wouldn't give that a second thought

Personally I'd just buy a new stove for the prices they are asking for those used ones.

This is a weekend cabin.
We are a little tight budgeted. Would it be better to get a less expensive new plate steel stove?
Any recommendations?

rbj

Assuming your price point is around what you posted above, I think you could easily find many stoves in that range. It will be new, will be clean burning, and won't have any baggage associated with it from the previous owner's use. For instance, a Pacific Energy Super 27 Stove can be had for $1450:

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/pacsup27.htm

Is there a local dealer you can visit and explain your situation?

A local stove shop in Toledo Ohio sold me a brand spanking new Pacific energy T5 for $1700 with their eternal warranty (and as long as there are canadians, I think they will be in business...)

For a weekend cabin I'd consider an Englander 13NC and put the savings toward a proper flue system. New, it's much less than either used stove and heat up the cabin faster than the Encore or Hearthstone. Just be sure you have a good supply of dry wood on hand.

All are great suggestions, but consider safety before cost. Then function over style.
A steel stove may certainly be better, if you want heat quickly when you open your cold cabin.

Enjoy your decision making time.

BeGreen said:
For a weekend cabin I'd consider an Englander 13NC and put the savings toward a proper flue system. New, it's much less than either used stove and heat up the cabin faster than the Encore or Hearthstone. Just be sure you have a good supply of dry wood on hand.

Amen to that...

Status
Not open for further replies.