Vermont Casting Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

toosteve352

I just purchased a used Vermont Castings ( Defiant 11 ) wood stove. I need some advise on restoring. I have purchased new door pins and seals for it with no problem but also need to replace the door handle which originally was porcelain . I like the look but understand they no longer make these porcelain handles. I found one on E-Bay but they want $100 used which I am not willing to pay. Also my current stove does not appear to have fire bricks. Did these stoves originally come with them and if so do I really need for light use? Also there was no bottom log grate with stove. I was told by the seller just to put a layer of sand on bottom??? I live in Florida and will only be using stove in outside carport. [email protected]

Hi toosteve352 welcome to the forum. i'm not 100% on this but i think the handles that are all metal will work. as far as the bottom there were never any fire brick there or grate. use 1 inch of sand or ash on the bottom so that the bottom doesn't crack

frank