Vermont Casting Winter Warm Fan Died ... again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 11, 2018
Vermont
We have a small Vermont Castings Winter Warm, installed I guess almost 20 years ago.

There are some flaws in the design, but I've made it work all this time. A few years ago I pretty much rebuilt all the interior/ burn chamber/ refectory, etc. parts (having to use a variety of online and local brick and mortar sources for parts). I've had to replace each fan in the life of the stove (maybe 8 years and 10 years ago each?). Stove has been working well since the rebuild.

This year the one fan has been really loud! Clearly off kilter, as it were. Noise was driving my wife crazy. Should have opened up the chamber where the fans are when we did the chimney cleaning in the summer, but once we started things going in the winter, pretty much the stove is going 24/7. So now that really loud fan has died. Other is fine, and relatively quiet.

My question: as the replacement fan is quite expensive (~$200), my wife wants to replace the insert entirely, not throw good money into trying to keep it going (the rebuild was expensive, I did myself). Is there a way perhaps I can remove the fan and see if there is a local machine shop that could fix it? Maybe make it an affordable repair? Love to get opinions.

The first question is why did the fan fail? It could be because it needed lubrication, or the electical components failed. Electric motors tend to get stuck and burn out. It could be that better motors, or better maintenence of them would last longer. They fail often enough that its a good idea to know how to replace them.

We have a large VC Winter Warm that just died after about 20 years. I never really liked it. I am curious about your rebuild. What did you change when you rebuilt it? I am still considering what to do with ours. I am trying to learn how much it weighs. One site, (not the manufacturer) lists it at 475 pounds, which sounds high. If it weighs that much I may need to take it apart or cut it up to remove it from the basement.

the replacement fan is quite expensive (~$200)
[/QUOTE]
Try to find out who manufactures the fan and buy direct from them or a supplier that sells that fan. I saved about $100 doing that but be cautious of the cheap fans on amazon and ebay. I found out the hard way.

Thanks for the tip, John. Charlie, I started by replacing the refractory (expensive) which had fallen apart and access panel, then the catalytic unit of course and access panel, and also the throat hood, the fire back, the damper housing and the damper. That is what I remember. Some parts were cracked or warped (perhaps from over firing). Burn plates and other parts were in good shape is what I remember. Also replaced all gaskets, obviously, which I'd done from time to time in the past. Basically any parts exposed to actual fire that had warped or cracked I replaced. Didn't touch the thermostat or the like.

Had replaced both fans about a year apart some years back, as I said. Not hard to do, just expensive. The one that just died a couple of days ago had been making a terrible noise for a few weeks, as though it was no longer balanced-- the rotor (blades?) were rubbing against the housing or such. I suppose I could have let the fire burn out and the insert cool down, and pulled it out, opened the fan cover (each of which is in the back corners of the insert) and cleaned and checked things, should could woulda.. Instead I let it go, and go it did.

I think we will just get through the season with the one fan operational. I have had some issues with the design of this insert from the start. First and foremost, you have to be really careful that the fans are off and have stopped moving before opening the door. Ash often falls out of the door when one opens it, and if the fans are moving at all, they project ash dust all over the room. The placement of the fan intake is a design flaw. Even when the stove is not going, stuff gets in there (like dog hair). I often would drag the insert out enough (during chimney cleaning time) to also clean out the fans, but didn't this past summer. The fact that this needs to be done often, and is such a pain (moving the insert isn't that easy, the chimney guys would help me, but I could also muscle it myself... you'd have to be pretty strong to do this, just dragging one corner at a time) is a testament to the flaw in the design. Also, the lip on the burn chamber, and even the geometry of the chamber is an issue, as ash dumps out. We have a soapstone stove we use elsewhere in the house, and love it, and the burn chamber is has a better design (and is more commodious). That said, the rebuilt insert is very efficient, it seems, and a lot quieter now that the noisy fan is dead. Likely we'll replace the insert with another soapstone stove (which I love). Will be in the fireplace, but that is okay, I think... lot's of room. The fire place is much wider and higher than the insert, but was only deep enough for the WinterWarm small. We had a surround made to cover the foot or so space on each side and the top, between the insert and the fireplace brick. My wife is pretty insistent that we replace the insert next year (I like to keep things going forever), so that may be the way we go.

On moving the large insert, not a job for one person for sure... two big strong guys and a proper dolly and something to protect the floors... maybe. I'd also take it apart as much as you can before trying to move it. Get all those heavy parts out. I guess that's pretty obvious.