Q&A Vermont Casting Winter Warm Fireplace Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have been searching for a fireplace insert to install in the basement of our 3 yr old house. I really like the look of the small vermont casting insert. Unfortunately, a local wood stove dealer has been quite critical about the performance of this insert versus others (Pacific, Regency). Am I being lead astray? Are Vermont Casting inserts reliable products? The insert is not intended to be a primary source of heat.

Answer:

They are fine products...however, being catalytic, as opposed to the non-cats you mentioned, may mean that they have more parts and need more service/maintainance. Also, neither Vermont insert is considered a "brute force" heater. Given your indication that it is not the primary source of heat, I think you'd be happy with the VC

Status
Not open for further replies.