Vermont Castings 0046

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rdianetti

Dec 13, 2023
Ohio
Hello - I'm new to fireplace inserts. I am moving into a "new" home that has a 1988 Vermont Castings 0046 that has been in regular use. The house is heated with oil so being able to burn wood would be very helpful to keep costs down. How safe is it to use a 35 year old insert? What should I look for and are parts still available should I need them? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bob D

You can look at the stove for signs of abuse, like worn, warped, or broken parts.

Parts may be available on the internet, but it depends on what you’re needing. VC has gone through a few ownership changes, so who knows what parts they might have.

You’ll probably want someone to inspect that chimney and liner real carefully with a camera.