Vermont Castings Breakaway Handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Llilith

Jul 29, 2023
Portland, Oregon
Hello - we just had our VC Dauntless installed today. I can already tell that the breakaway handle is going to be annoying. Has anyone successfully replaced the handle with one that is stationary. I'd like to buy a porcelain one, but I'm not sure it's easy to swap in. Thank you!

If you just had it installed today have you done your break in fires and have you used your stove at all. The reason I ask is because, your stove is a top loading stove.

My stove is similar to yours and I rarely use the front door. The front door normally gets open twice during a burn cycle. Once to build the initial fire and light it, the second is if Im cleaning the stove after the burn with all the ash accumulation, or a relight. This burn cycle may be as little as 24 hours to 2 weeks. All loading, stoking, raking of coals is done from the top.. thats the advantage of a top loading stove

Hi Woodsplitter67, thanks for your reply. I have had two fires so far, and I get that it's a top loader. I just really don't like the breakaway handle. I already dropped it once (happy it didn't chip the stove). I'd love to find a handle that isn't breakaway that could be installed on this stove.

I'm late to this thread. I'm not sure how it would hold up, but the breakaway handle can be unscrewed from the little nub at the end and screwed in to the front latch. Now that being said it may get too hot and melt. I personally do not have mine attached. I use it as intended.

Thank you so much. I’ve dropped it three times already, once it left a chip in my new enamel stove. I’m pretty pissed at VC for making it this way. I can’t be the only one who lets go of a handle after using it. It feels like muscle memory or something. Anyway, it worked just like you said. I’ll monitor to see how hot it gets.

Thank you so much. I’ve dropped it three times already, once it left a chip in my new enamel stove. I’m pretty pissed at VC for making it this way. I can’t be the only one who lets go of a handle after using it. It feels like muscle memory or something. Anyway, it worked just like you said. I’ll monitor to see how hot it gets.

I find something like this fascinating. Why be upset at the manufacturer. This sove design has been around for years. I mean.. you did look at the stove prior to purchasing .. correct.. Im sure you did. It was designed that way when you looked at it.. nothing was changed prior to delivery.. right.. so if you didn't like the way the stove was set up.. why did you purchase it.. just Curious..