Vermont Castings Dauntless Air Control Lever Fell Off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Llilith

Jul 29, 2023
Portland, Oregon
I'm still getting to know my new VC Dauntless and just had our fourth fire. The side air control lever came off while I was adjusting it today. I know the handle for the door is not stationary, but I thought the air control lever was. Is this supposed to come off? I searched this site and google but can't seem to find an answer. Any VC Dauntless owners have an answer to this question? The good news is that a new stove is coming next week, so this one isn't really mine. During install, the guy didn't tell me about large chips in the porcelain and touched them up during install without saying anything. He did leave his thumbprint in the wet touchup paint though. :rolleyes: I wonder if the installer put the air control handle on wrong or what? Don't really trust the guy now but my dealer said he needs to install the replacement (prob so dealer doesn't have to pay someone else to do it).

So.. when my stove was delivered, there was no assembly of anything. If you look at the handle on the underside of it you will see a small set screw for an Allen key.. loosen it a bit and put it back on... then tighten..

Reactions: Llilith
I'm still getting to know my new VC Dauntless and just had our fourth fire. The side air control lever came off while I was adjusting it today. I know the handle for the door is not stationary, but I thought the air control lever was. Is this supposed to come off? I searched this site and google but can't seem to find an answer. Any VC Dauntless owners have an answer to this question? The good news is that a new stove is coming next week, so this one isn't really mine. During install, the guy didn't tell me about large chips in the porcelain and touched them up during install without saying anything. He did leave his thumbprint in the wet touchup paint though. :rolleyes: I wonder if the installer put the air control handle on wrong or what? Don't really trust the guy now but my dealer said he needs to install the replacement (prob so dealer doesn't have to pay someone else to do it).
I had a VC Dauntless and I believe there was an allen screw that held it tight to the shaft / lever. Sorry to hear you had 4 chimney fires, yikes make sure your wood moisture content is correct. You can get a moisture meter online relatively cheap.

I had a VC Dauntless and I believe there was an allen screw that held it tight to the shaft / lever. Sorry to hear you had 4 chimney fires, yikes make sure your wood moisture content is correct. You can get a moisture meter online relatively cheap.
I didn't have any chimney fires, thank goodness!