Vermont Castings Defiant Encore top loose

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bpsweeney4

Nov 16, 2020
New Mexico
Hi everyone. When I had my 1986 Defiant Encore installed four years ago, the installer said the top was loose/broken because even though the top center screw was in place, you could lift it up from the back about a quarter inch. The screw is stuck and stripped, so we couldn't look at the underside. He caulked it in with high-temperature (2000-degree) sealant. The stove burned well, but the sealant has since chipped away. I just re-caulked everything, but now that I am done with that, I'm wondering if he has steered me wrong and I've continued down the wrong path. Are there fiberglass seals on the underside, does it just sit on there dry, or some other thing? I can't find anything on the internet about this, even in the parts diagrams. It appears there are bolt holes on the underside of the lip on the left and right, but maybe that's for the warming shelves, which I do not have. Any guidance on this would be massively appreciated. I can try to get pictures, but you wouldn't really be able to see anything. Thanks a million.
Brian

not sure the defiant encore came out that early. i think of it as a '90's stove. anyway, i recently broke apart a defiant encore model 2550 to sell as parts. i discarded the top because it had a crack in it. i believe that it was cemented in place, with a bolt into the front panel. and single bolt/washer near each outer side panel. there is a cast slot protruding from the upper rear corners of the side panels (see pic). i believe that is it.

IMG_E5361.JPG IMG_E5362.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks so much! Seeing the inside of the sides is very helpful. And I'm happy to report that this is a Defiant Encore from 1986, model 0028. It came with a ridiculous amount of documentation, including the original receipt, if you can believe that one. Anyway, I think I may have actually done the right thing in cementing the top in, so thanks for allaying my fears! Cheers! That rhymes!