Vermont Castings Dutchwest 2460

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mryank9

Dec 2, 2013
Greater New Haven, CT
Hi everyone..first time posting on here..This is my second season burning with a Dutchwest 2460 (bought the house last November, wood stove was already here). It is being used as an insert with the tube running up the full length of the chimney. Burned with it all last winter and it kept the house nice and warm. However this season, its burning good, but seems the wood is burning quicker than last year. I did have the flue/tube swept out about a month ago

I looked at the manual that the previous owner left for me, and looks like the cat was replaced in the fall of 2008 so I am thinking that needs to be replaced. I've also just ordered all new gaskets. When I removed the top of the stove to check out the cat, there were a bunch of black flakes on top of the refractory package (they vacuumed right up) but what would cause that? I'm not sure of the last time the top was removed (could of been 2008 when the cat was replaced)

One other question, how open should the secondary air control that feeds air to the cat be? I currently have it about 1/2 turn open

Thanks in advance, seems to be a great community on here!

I pitched my manual in the trash when I got rid of my DW but it should tell you in there somewhere how far to have the secondary air open

It would not be out of the question that the cat may need to be replaced. You really have no idea how the former owner ran the stove. If he was abusing it - the cat could have taken the brunt of the abuse.
Replacing the gaskets and the cat will be a good first step.

The secondary air control is still a mystery for me after 16 years of use, trial and error will tell you your best results. When burning do you have smoke exiting your chimney? If no smoke I'd say the cat is working fine.

Wood burning up faster, is it drier than last years, different species of wood? .Can you not close the primary air more? Have you checked your gaskets, side front and ash doors?

I think my first step is to replace all of the gaskets, some of them are "crispy" if you will. After that I can try replacing the cat if needed. There is some smoke, but it is very light grey/white when the damper is closed and the cat is lit off

Another thing to look closely at would be the actual joints where the sides meet the back/front. When the stove is burning well with the damper closed and the primary air closed off, turn out the lights and look in the front window at those joints. If you see wispy flames coming in sideways at the joints you will need to Dremel out the old cement and replace with new.

It is not that big of a job.

I have seen some coming in on the side (opposite the side loading door) where that piece sticks out further and almost creates a shelf..is that where you mean?

I have seen some coming in on the side (opposite the side loading door) where that piece sticks out further and almost creates a shelf..is that where you mean?

That is usually the first spot to leak. The "shelf" looking area is (I think) a stop, when loading from the side be careful not to throw in and bounce off this "stop", this is where I blame myself for jarring the the cement seams over the years. ;em

Two bolts hold the "stop" in place, 7/16's if I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.