vermont castings Encore hood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DJF

Jun 12, 2017
Colorado
I just cleaned my Vermont Castings Encore 2500 for the summer and am unable to replace the cast iron hood. It simply will not slide back into place. Help! Any advice for getting the hood back in place? Thank you.

they are a pain in the ass to get back in. I have spent as much as 15 mins screwing with them before till all of a sudden it just slides right into place. No real advice other than check it to make sure it is not warped to bad then just keep at it it will go in eventually.

Or get a stove that isn't such a pita to work on lol.

Reactions: webby3650
Thanks for the response. Yes, this stove is a PITA although other than this annual hood battle, it heats well and burns efficiently. I've had the stove for 15 years- got it new. I've spent as much as 3 hours screwing with the hood already- I don't think it's warped although I am not sure. It seems to be curved just slightly but I think it was always shaped like that. Maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks for the response. Yes, this stove is a PITA although other than this annual hood battle, it heats well and burns efficiently. I've had the stove for 15 years- got it new. I've spent as much as 3 hours screwing with the hood already- I don't think it's warped although I am not sure. It seems to be curved just slightly but I think it was always shaped like that. Maybe I'm wrong?
Yeah i really hate working on most vc stoves. They really make it difficult.

paging @defiant3 to the hood

Right ho! 2550 throat hoods are actually straight when new, so the small amount of warping you see shouldn't be there, so that's not helping. In addition, the upper fireback which the hood fits into also is warped, and that's really not helpful either. I would try a new throat hood if you haven't already, though ideally it is time for some more serious maintenance, like replacing some or all the internals. Neither cheap nor fun. Eventually you will find the damper begins to misbehave, though that may be down the road a bit. Just try a new hood for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks defiant3. Good advice. Sounds like you've done battle with a few stoves. I've ordered a new hood and hope that slides in easily or at least easier. Thanks for the info. I will be in touch if (when?) the next thing frustrates.

You need to make absolutely sure all the ash is removed from the lower channel that the lower fireback sits in. If not, nothing will go back as it should. Most often, if the hood is warped, so is the fireback, and the damper assembly. That's what makes these stoves such a pain in the ass. It's rarely ever one part that's bad...

Thanks for the tips. I will try to clear the ash from behind the fireback. This stove repair is peeling an onion! I am hoping the hood will provide a fix- maybe a temporary one. I am awaiting delivery of a new hood and will post an update. Thanks very much for the advice. Sound like I may be in need of more.

This stove repair is peeling an onion!
Unfortunately that's a good analogy. The more you peel back the more you cry.