Vermont Castings Freestanding Stove In Room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tommy222

Aug 30, 2021
Missouri
Looking to purchase a Vermont Castings stove to put in this room. It would make the most sense to put it in the middle of the room and face it towards the rest of the house. (the slider glass doors going to the house will be removed) That way it will probably heat most of the house if we got the Defiant model.

I worry a little about it being in the way in the middle of the room..but it would look nice and function the best there. There are windows and doors everywhere on the room, so not really a good wall to mount it against.

Otherwise, we're looking to put it in the corner. Probably one of the smaller units. The floors will be different as the room is being remodeled and we'll have to get a hearth pad. Not sure what would be best for either scenario. I just want to buy a premade pad. The room is about 500 sq ft, but flows into the rest of the house.

Does the enamel coating hold up well on these stoves? Or does it darken over time - I would think with the white ones, that would be an issue?

Appreciate any suggestions
IMG_2782.jpgIMG_2783.jpgIMG_2784.jpgIMG_2771.jpg

Looking to purchase a Vermont Castings stove to put in this room. It would make the most sense to put it in the middle of the room and face it towards the rest of the house. (the slider glass doors going to the house will be removed) That way it will probably heat most of the house if we got the Defiant model.

I worry a little about it being in the way in the middle of the room..but it would look nice and function the best there. There are windows and doors everywhere on the room, so not really a good wall to mount it against.

Otherwise, we're looking to put it in the corner. Probably one of the smaller units. The floors will be different as the room is being remodeled and we'll have to get a hearth pad. Not sure what would be best for either scenario. I just want to buy a premade pad. The room is about 500 sq ft, but flows into the rest of the house.

Does the enamel coating hold up well on these stoves? Or does it darken over time - I would think with the white ones, that would be an issue?

Appreciate any suggestions.
View attachment 281714View attachment 281715
View attachment 281712
View attachment 281713
What makes you want a Vermont castings stove? Have you read up on them thoroughly?

What makes you want a Vermont castings stove? Have you read up on them thoroughly?
Just from what I've seen on youtube, etc..I hadn't heard anything negative thus far. It doesn't have to be Vermont Castings..I just want something enamel coated and decorative that is good quality.

Just from what I've seen on youtube, etc..I hadn't heard anything negative thus far. It doesn't have to be Vermont Castings..I just want something enamel coated and decorative that is good quality.
Do a bit of research on here about VC.

Don’t expect a lot of heat to move through the doorway. I would expect maybe a 10 degree temp difference between the rooms if you were only heating with the stove. I would never put a stove directly between two doorway. It will really interfere with the flow of the room. Stoves are space heaters. I have a white jotul and love it but they don’t do white any more. Finish holds up fine.

look at pacific energy T4 or T5 stoves the have that classic enamel look and are good stoves.

Evan

Don’t expect a lot of heat to move through the doorway. I would expect maybe a 10 degree temp difference between the rooms if you were only heating with the stove. I would never put a stove directly between two doorway. It will really interfere with the flow of the room. Stoves are space heaters. I have a white jotul and love it but they don’t do white any more. Finish holds up fine.

look at pacific energy T4 or T5 stoves the have that classic enamel look and are good stoves.

Evan
Yea, it's not the only heat for the house... Just for fun and a way to get some heat if the power is out. I imagine it would heat up the house a lot better being close to the doorways, versus way over in the corner.

Yea, I'm not crazy about putting it in the middle of the room. We never go outdoors through the back..so not much of an issue with flow..but I dont want it to be an install that other people look at and think it was a horrible idea (ie, if we ever sell the house).

VC are beautiful stoves. When set up properly will operate with no issues and will put out alot of heat. Some stove in the past had there share of issues. The newer stoves are more durable for sure. Some people will say that the stove is complicated, myself as well.as others have operated them for years and dont find it difficult at all. A VC stove will need some maintenance down the road. I knew this going in and purchased the stove anyway, knowing in 7 years or so ill ave to replace some parts. That being said I heat my entire house with the stove. If your not burning 24/7 you may never have to rebuild if your a part time burner.. or you my have to rebuild in 14 years..

VC are beautiful stoves. When set up properly will operate with no issues and will put out alot of heat. Some stove in the past had there share of issues. The newer stoves are more durable for sure. Some people will say that the stove is complicated, myself as well.as others have operated them for years and dont find it difficult at all. A VC stove will need some maintenance down the road. I knew this going in and purchased the stove anyway, knowing in 7 years or so ill ave to replace some parts. That being said I heat my entire house with the stove. If your not burning 24/7 you may never have to rebuild if your a part time burner.. or you my have to rebuild in 14 years..
The complications with vc stoves isn't as much in the operation of them. Which they are harder to figure out than many others but certainly not that bad. It is about all of the complicated and delicate interior parts that I am constantly fixing for customers. Most of our customers spend quite a bit of money in parts to maintain them. Way more than most other stoves. And yes the newer ones are more durable. But still falling behind most others on the market

I had the same decision placement of the stove and I went back and forth with the decision making but you will come to the right decision as you move around that area of the house. Its always exciting figuring things out when you move to a different house but your porch to me has some real potential. My porch is much smaller than the space you have and I just know one factor is "You want to be able to see the stove when the fire is going from the other rooms."..I most likely will not use my stove very often (hoping I will not have to) and just got it for a emergency if the grid should go down or something and will light it for the first time on the 28th of this month. Best wishes with your coming beautiful stove and it will dawn on you--the placement...mrs clancey

Was this area a porch at some point? All that glass is going to lose heat quickly in the dead of winter. For this reason I would put in a little larger stove than anticipated. Look at stoves in the 2 cu ft range. You can build smaller fires in milder weather.

The complications with vc stoves isn't as much in the operation of them. Which they are harder to figure out than many others but certainly not that bad. It is about all of the complicated and delicate interior parts that I am constantly fixing for customers. Most of our customers spend quite a bit of money in parts to maintain them. Way more than most other stoves. And yes the newer ones are more durable. But still falling behind most others on the market

I think that its up to the person purchasing the stove to make that decision. That is why I posted what I did. If a person knows going in that the stove will need maintenance, at that point its up to the person purchasing to decide whether the stove is for them or not. All to often you come across as anti VC which is wrong. If you dont like them dont own one, if you don't like working on them walk away. If a model of stove is bad(any brand) let that person know that its a bad model for what ever reason. To come across that an entire brand is $hit is wrong. I agree in the past there were issues, there are alot of corrections since then. Is this brand as durable as some others, probably not. Will it need more maintenance than others, yes. That being said there's no reason to totally discredit this brand. I purchased a VC stove based on alot of my friends .. many have them, none have had issues that would make them say that they regret purchasing it. I fall in that category. If my stove was a complete piece of $hit id say so and let others know.. The fact is it runs great, it heat my home well ,I love the looks and the even heat, I love the long burn times. will it need parts.. yes..and Im ok with it. The person making the decision on the stove, let them decide themselves if thats the right decision for them.. My dad drove a Jaguar for years people said its a car with a high cost of maintenance.. he didn't care and he loved that car..

Reactions: begreen
So, what brand would you suggest that comes in a nice enamel finish? I'm open to whatever...

Was this area a porch at some point? All that glass is going to lose heat quickly in the dead of winter. For this reason I would put in a little larger stove than anticipated. Look at stoves in the 2 cu ft range. You can build smaller fires in milder weather.
Yes..it loses heat easily...which isn't a huge deal. Not like we are living in the space..and it has it's own HVAC also.

I had the same decision placement of the stove and I went back and forth with the decision making but you will come to the right decision as you move around that area of the house. Its always exciting figuring things out when you move to a different house but your porch to me has some real potential. My porch is much smaller than the space you have and I just know one factor is "You want to be able to see the stove when the fire is going from the other rooms."..I most likely will not use my stove very often (hoping I will not have to) and just got it for a emergency if the grid should go down or something and will light it for the first time on the 28th of this month. Best wishes with your coming beautiful stove and it will dawn on you--the placement...mrs clancey
Yea, thank you for the suggestions. Your situation is similar to mine.

I think that its up to the person purchasing the stove to make that decision. That is why I posted what I did. If a person knows going in that the stove will need maintenance, at that point its up to the person purchasing to decide whether the stove is for them or not. All to often you come across as anti VC which is wrong. If you dont like them dont own one, if you don't like working on them walk away. If a model of stove is bad(any brand) let that person know that its a bad model for what ever reason. To come across that an entire brand is $hit is wrong. I agree in the past there were issues, there are alot of corrections since then. Is this brand as durable as some others, probably not. Will it need more maintenance than others, yes. That being said there's no reason to totally discredit this brand. I purchased a VC stove based on alot of my friends .. many have them, none have had issues that would make them say that they regret purchasing it. I fall in that category. If my stove was a complete piece of $hit id say so and let others know.. The fact is it runs great, it heat my home well ,I love the looks and the even heat, I love the long burn times. will it need parts.. yes..and Im ok with it. The person making the decision on the stove, let them decide themselves if thats the right decision for them.. My dad drove a Jaguar for years people said its a car with a high cost of maintenance.. he didn't care and he loved that car.
I am sorry but I am just letting people know what I see working on these stoves compared to many others. Yes they heat well. Yes they look great. But they also take allot more maintenance than just about any other stove on the market. I didn't say don't buy one just asked why they wanted a VC and told them the truth about them.

And btw Vermont castings has made some great stoves. But the ones that use a down draft system in the back of the stove have always taken quite a bit of work to maintain.

So, what brand would you suggest that comes in a nice enamel finish? I'm open to whatever...
Hampton
Blaze king Ashford
Jotul
The cast clad pacific energy.
And probably others I am missing.

Also the Hearthstone Shelburne

We've done more thinking and I discovered the Thelin Palour stoves.

Since these are round, I think they are more ideal to float in a room. So, we're leaning towards that at the moment. I like that I can buy it online and get it delivered... Just would have to find an installer.

I would want a round hearth pad also...if we can find one...

That's interesting. We haven't seen a Thelin for a while. The hearth needs to meet spec which would make it oval to accommodate the 16" extension in front of the door. A basic rectangle or tapered front pad will be easier.

U.S. Installation:
It is necessary to install a floor protector of 3/8” thick metal clad millboard or equivalent at least 16” in front of glass door and 8” to both sides of the door opening

Edit: Disregrad..I reread what you wrote.

Yea, finding a hearth pad I like will be the only tricky part maybe..

Last edited:
There is no real advantage to the design other than the visual novelty. Are you sure you can buy online, what price? If not, where is the nearest dealer?

There is no real advantage to the design other than the visual novelty. Are you sure you can buy online, what price? If not, where is the nearest dealer?
Visual novelty is more important than the heat. This is something we're going to be looking every day but using only rarely LOL. So, whatever we put in our house we want to look nice.

Not sure if there are any local dealers - but they can ship to me residentially for $100.