Q&A Vermont Castings Insert flue connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a question and if you could help that would be great. I have a 1983 Vermont Castings fireplace insert [w/ built in blower]. We need to have a positive flu connect installed since it was never installed w/ one. I have had 2 chimney contractors come in and each has had a different story as to how to do the job. I seem to remember that VC made a collar for these stoves and it was attached to the stove via a tightening screw or two and then a flex pipe up the chimney. [One has told me that VC is basically out of business and that is how I happened to come to this web site.] Neither has told me they have or can get the necessary collar to fit the flex-pipe to the top of the stove. One was going to have the collar fabricated.

So the question where can I get a collar [the opening is 13 x 6 inches in the top of the stove? The flu damper opening is roughly 10 x 5. Both contractors were talking about breaking the damper frame out etc. & if it ever needed to be repaired well then big, big job. When I heard that I did get a bit nervous. Seems as though they were trying to make the hole fit the peg if you know what I mean. I live north of New York City people around here were supposed to be helpful.

Your guidance and any help/ direction is greatly appreciated.

Answer:

Here's my two cents based on a little experience---you probably won't find that fireplace adaptor for the 1983 Model #0044 FPI . It's the proverbial needle in a haystack.

Option "B" would be to make a cardboard template of the insert's cast iron flue collar, and another of the oval flue liner you are using to get through the damper, and have a custom stainless steel adaptor made by a local tin-knocker.

If you have room through the damper and are using a round steel liner, then have the adaptor made as an oval to round with a tall transition (for better flow). And, please consider lining the entire chimney for better draft and easier cleaning.

Caution: If you remove the damper altogether, then the damper area for fireplace will need repairs should you ever consider selling your home. A damper is a critical part of a safe and well functioning fireplace.

I believe that you would save time and money by having the adaptor made. And, you would be assured of have a snug fit to your liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.