Vermont Castings Intrepid 1969

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

whalefish

Jan 26, 2022
Oregon
I've been looking for a small, simple used wood stove as supplemental heat for a portion of our house, to go in an existing hearth. Found this one for $600, seems to be in good condition, is this a decent stove? I know the newer models that had the Cat are spendy to maintain but I'm pretty sure this one is a simple baffle system. Should I get it? Comes with the original screen, a kettle, And 6' of pipe.

I've been looking for a small, simple used wood stove as supplemental heat for a portion of our house, to go in an existing hearth. Found this one for $600, seems to be in good condition, is this a decent stove? I know the newer models that had the Cat are spendy to maintain but I'm pretty sure this one is a simple baffle system. Should I get it? Comes with the original screen, a kettle, And 6' of pipe.
Great stove, good deal if in very good condition. Examine closely!

Great stove, good deal if in very good condition. Examine closely!
What should I look for? Its still installed so I was going to fire it up and see about air flow, smoke leakage, cracks in the stove or warpage. There's a little rust on the top where they had a kettle.

You‘ve listed several things to check for, especially cracks. Check operation of air intake thermostat and secondary burn baffle. Hope it checks out and works well for you!

Mostly check for cracks and warpage, and function of the damper and intake thermostat/flapper. the older VC stoves are super easy to rebuild, so I wouldn’t get really worried about having to. Gaskets are no problem, but beware of stoves that have been run with bad gaskets, it is indicative of someone being careless and that leads to damage. As for checking draft, that is more indicative of the chimney it is attached to , so really isn’t going to tell you much. Good luck, and enjoy it.