Vermont Castings Intrepid II (model 1308) Rear Heat Shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

splitwood

Nov 16, 2008
Southeast PA
I was given a Vermont castings Intrepid II (model 1308) wood stove and I am trying to figure out if it has a rear heat shield. This will make a big difference in clearance on the corner installation I am planning. Can anyone tell me how to determine if the rear heat shield is there?

splitwood said:
I was given a Vermont castings Intrepid II (model 1308) wood stove and I am trying to figure out if it has a rear heat shield. This will make a big difference in clearance on the corner installation I am planning. Can anyone tell me how to determine if the rear heat shield is there?

Should be a separate sheet of steel attached to the stove with about a 1" air gap. Oughta be pretty obvious, you should be able to stick your fingers in between (when it's cold!). Rick

I don't have anything with an air gap on the back. The stove is a top exit chimney and in some literature from vermont castings they make it sound like the top exit has the shield in place. Does anyone have a picture of the intrepid II with the heat shield.

I hope it's OK with you, but I'm going to change the title of your thread to include the stove you're talking about. We might get more responses from folks who know the stove that way. Rick

Splitwood, I also have a corner installed Intrepid but mine is a 1303 with rear and bottom shield. There is no mistaking the rear shield its the size of the rear of the stove and mounts with 4 screws about 1 to 2 inches from the actuall back. its a piece of stout sheet metal preformed to the stove back shape. On mine it also covers the damper and thermostat controls. I made my lower shield but the rear would be difficult because of all the formed bends. Since your stove is newer than mine im sure they are still available from VC or maybe Ebay. Good luck with your stove, its small but its a serious heater.

Thanks for the help. What is the clearance you are using for your intrepid II and does it include wall protection? I called the local retailers and they were useless.

The manual says min corner clearence is 20 inches from top rear corner of stove to wall. 25 inches for pipe to wall... This is for corner install.. Clearence is less if all shields are installed which includes stove pipe shield witch i dont have. My stove has rear & bottom shield and it is 20 inches from the corner walls. Maybe you can download a manual from the web for your stove....

not sure of my #, bought it new last year, and only came with a bottom heat shield

Status
Not open for further replies.