Vermont Castings Montpelier Fan Noise/Vibration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

inspecta83

Aug 24, 2015
new york
Ive had the VC Montpelier for three seasons now and the fan just recently began making intermittent noise/vibration that sounds like a low humming sound. This will happen every 30 seconds or so, last for about 3-5 seconds then go back to its normal sound.

Is this a sign thay my fan motor is going bad?

Is the fan easy and inexpensive to replace?Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

It may just need cleaning. Over time the blades pick up a lot of dust and animal hairs. That throws them out of balance. Take it out and give it a good cleaning.

Yep, I went over a blower option for my Intrepid with a VC dealer a month ago. He advised if you have animal hair around this will be the blowers demise if not kept on check. He said more so it gets caught up in the motor bearings greatly shortening their life. Since blower motors are close to the floorhepick up dirt easily. All makes sense to me. I have three cats so I decided against it.

There's another thread on this. Mine is new, used only three times. It hums annoyingly. It's not fan noise but motor noise. I have to shut it off to watch TV in the same room. :mad:

Last edited:
I believe its motor noise too. I'm familiar with the fan noise and this is different. It kind of sounds like an electrical humming. But I am willing to clean everything out and take it from there.

Might be the motor controller. Our stove has a low AC hum, but it is very low.

I removed the fan assembly, cleaned it and the part of the insert it came out of. To be honest I had my doubts about if this would work especially after realizing how little dirt there was. But to my pleasant surprise, after burning my 1st fire the low electrical transformer sounding humming noise appears to be gone.

Hopefully it does not come back. Thanks for the help!