Vermont Castings Montpelier insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first started looking at inserts I was considering either the Jotul or the Montpelier. I liked the look of the Montpelier and started to do some research. I read the original thread on this site about them and all the concerns that were listed. This pushed me towards the Jotul 450. When I spoke to the dealer and mentioned some of the problems people had listed he did not think they were major or show stoppers. He had sold a number of Jotuls and Montpeliers and put me in touch with a couple of customers. After speaking to them I decided to go with the Montpelier.

I feel it was a good decision. I followed the manual as a starting point on loading and burning. As I got more familiar with the stove and my installation I have changed things a little. Basically am very happy with the stove's functionality, looks, and most important, heat output.

It burns 24/7 and usually there is at least one resident in front of it...

KaptJaq

Attachments

• Img_5430_b.jpg
    Img_5430_b.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,006
cc said:
SolarBrian,
How do you like the Envi blocks? I am thinking about picking up a pallet. Are you using the Envi Blocks or Envi 8s? I think I would burn these at night if they would last about 8 hours. How many does it take to fill up the Montpelier?
Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris, sorry for the slow response I just noticed your question now.

I really liked the Envi blocks. I ended up buying 1 pallet (1 ton) of the full size "blocks" and another pallet of the Envi 8's. The blocks really throw out some heat, and for more flexibility with smaller fires, I thought a mix of the 8's and blocks would be good. So far that does work out well.

I haven't really attempted an overnight burn yet, although I've put 3 blocks in at 10:30 and still have some coals at 7am the next morning. Not quite enough to catch another block but with the help of kindling a fire could be rebuilt. I think I could probably fit 6-9 blocks in there, but I'd be scared to. The stove is throwing out some serious heat with only 3 and the air shut all the way down.

For comparison, I also tried burning logik-e logs. I did not like these. They probably had the burn time of the Envi 8's but they expanded and fell apart much more when burning. Envi blocks give you a much longer even fire.

Had mine installed in Jan'09 and I think it is a great insert. I have not cleaned the fan ass. yet and after reading other posts, it seems pretty easy to do. I made up some air filters to catch the dust and clean them every other week. I did learn that when the boiler was off for more than a couple of days because the stove was on 24/7, the spill switch tripped on the boiler when it did come on due to the downdraft created from the insert. Now I crack the basement window to allow some make-up air into the house and its been fine.

Hello! I am actively looking at having a Vermont Montpelier insert installed and have a few questions. My main reasoning is that our fireplace width is just 27.5in so there are few choices. This has been enlightening to read past posts.
1. I don't feel confident installing it myself but see that obviously many people do. I'm getting bids of between $4400 - $5200 all in - the actual unit being about $2300 of that - does that sound fair?
2. We have a 1923 home and have 2 chimney flues (presumably they had a fireplace in basement?) and 2 flues going down into basement where there are clean out doors for ash. My plan is to fill the unused flue with insulation - any thoughts? I gather there is controversy surrounding insulation around the exhaust vent from an insert - appreciate any advice on that.
3. Anything I should ask for from dealer / installer? Thanks much for any advice! David, Minnesota

1. I don't feel confident installing it myself but see that obviously many people do. I'm getting bids of between $4400 - $5200 all in - the actual unit being about $2300 of that - does that sound fair?

$2,300 is a fair price for the unit. Depending on what else is included and the amount of work to be done, $5,200 sounds a little high for the total install. What type surround (trim kit) is going to be installed? What type and length of liner is being installed? Insulated? Will he do a block off plate?

2. We have a 1923 home and have 2 chimney flues (presumably they had a fireplace in basement?) and 2 flues going down into basement where there are clean out doors for ash. My plan is to fill the unused flue with insulation - any thoughts? I gather there is controversy surrounding insulation around the exhaust vent from an insert - appreciate any advice on that.

I don't see the reason to fill the unused flue with insulation. As long as the flue is not in use I would just cap the top and sealed the bottom. This way it will be easier to put it back in service if I ever needed to use it.

Not sure of any controversy about insulation "around the exhaust vent". If you have an external flue, one on the outside wall of the house, insulation on the liner is almost a must. A block-off plate just above the lintel or at the damper frame with insulation above it helps seal in a lot of heat that will be wasted going up the flue. Clarify what you want to accomplish and I can give a better answer...

3. Anything I should ask for from dealer / installer?

Has the flue been cleaned and inspected?
Does the hearth meet the R factor (thermal resistance) required by the insert?
Will he install a block-off plate? (very important for an external chimney, optional but helpful for an internal one)
Will the liner be insulated? (very important for an external chimney, optional but helpful for an internal one)

These are a first pass at answers and additional questions. Give a little more detail about the install and there might be others...

KaptJaq

Wow! Thanks for replies. Not sure how to split each qn up as you did. Firstly, a 2.5 story home - installer calculated about a 31 foot exhaust pipe. Since fireplace is taller than wide (about 29in tall) going with, I think the Georgian trim. Also need an electrical connection installed since we don't want a visible cord going to plug-in several feet away. There seem to be some 'code' issues around the insulation - am awaiting a home visit by installer. I have no idea about a block off plate. 2. OK on the flue - I had assumed filling it with a non-flammable material would be better than air - defer to wisdom on that. So, it's an old home with a nice brick well preserved, surrounding the flues on outside of house. I will check with installer about the block off plate - thanks! My goal is to insulate this old house as much as I can - already have blown insulation into walls plus the other basics, attic etc. 3. Yes, flues are clean - checked about 3 years ago. We've used the original fireplace little since smoke would rapidly accumulate in basement once we lit a fire and have been told grout between chimney blocks has deteriorated to make original fireplace unusable. I certainly hope 'R factor' of our fireplace is satisfactory - how does one measure that? I will ask installer when he visits. Thanks for these great comments! Much appreciated, David

We've used the original fireplace little since smoke would rapidly accumulate in basement once we lit a fire and have been told grout between chimney blocks has deteriorated to make original fireplace unusable.

1. Have the chimney inspected to make sure it is still stable and up to code for an install.

2. With two flues, one unused, in a recently sealed house I would guess that the smoke is being sucked down the second flue due to negative air pressure in the basement. After you sealed up all the leaks the air going out the first flue had to be replaced and the easiest path was via the second flue. Sealing that second flue should solve that problem.

I certainly hope 'R factor' of our fireplace is satisfactory - how does one measure that? I will ask installer when he visits. Thanks for these great comments! Much appreciated, David

Each material has a resistance to conducting heat, the "R" factor. You add the resistance of each component of your hearth to get the total R factor for the hearth. A good installer should be able to eyeball it and calculate a rough estimate to compare to the insert's requirements.

KaptJaq

ps You might want to start a new thread relating to your install...

I've never run the fan past the 3 o'clock position. Now I'm running it at 6 or 5 o'clock.
This stove takes a while to heat up. After a half-hour from a cold start, the blower may kick on, but the IR thermometer would show barely 200° above the door, too soon to be pulling heat off it.
I keep it off, even after a reload.

Fan is simple. From memory:

You'll be taking the shelf/fan door assembly off. Open the fan doors. You'll see 2 black screws in either corner. Remove these and the whole bottom assembly will come off.
After that, I think its 2 or 4 screws that hold the fan in. Remove these, then disconnect the 2 wires to the snap-disc. this will free the unit from the stove.
With the fan out, uncrew the screens from the ends.
The fans are held in with spring clamps. Needle-nose pliers remove them. You should be able to pull the fans off their spindles easily.
I rinsed mine in the sink (they were plastic back in '08' )
Installation is reverse.

It wasn't bad overall. Hope this helps.

Gabe

Gabe,
Your info is superb.
Followed your clear and simple instructions, scrubbed fan blades a bit with toothbrush and dabbed a drop of WD-40 with a few flakes
of graphite on base of spindle. Reinstalled and works like a charm.

Thanks!

Bruce

Hi Chris, sorry for the slow response I just noticed your question now.

I really liked the Envi blocks. I ended up buying 1 pallet (1 ton) of the full size "blocks" and another pallet of the Envi 8's. The blocks really throw out some heat, and for more flexibility with smaller fires, I thought a mix of the 8's and blocks would be good. So far that does work out well.

I haven't really attempted an overnight burn yet, although I've put 3 blocks in at 10:30 and still have some coals at 7am the next morning. Not quite enough to catch another block but with the help of kindling a fire could be rebuilt. I think I could probably fit 6-9 blocks in there, but I'd be scared to. The stove is throwing out some serious heat with only 3 and the air shut all the way down.

For comparison, I also tried burning logik-e logs. I did not like these. They probably had the burn time of the Envi 8's but they expanded and fell apart much more when burning. Envi blocks give you a much longer even fire.
Has anyone tried the qualiflame logs at Lowes?

Gabe,
Your info is superb.
Followed your clear and simple instructions, scrubbed fan blades a bit with toothbrush and dabbed a drop of WD-40 with a few flakes
of graphite on base of spindle. Reinstalled and works like a charm.

Thanks!

Bruce

Hey Bruce,
You're welcome. I'm glad the instructions worked for you.
Sorry for the late reply, but I'm a cold-weather Hearth member. I don't usually visit until I need to fire it up!

Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.