Vermont castings Montpellier or Hearthstone Green mountain 70

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Obie458

Mar 15, 2021
Catskills NY
I'm looking to purchase a new 2020+ wood burning fireplace insert. I've been looking at the vermont casting montpelier ii and the hearthstone green mountain 70 but I'm open to other suggestions. I really like the looks of both and I'm not looking for an ugly unit. I don't know much about ether stove and was looking for options on them. In particular I can't find much information about the hearthstone stove. I'm not looking to use the stove as the primary heat source but I'm hoping to cut down on my oil bill. Any positives or negative of ether stove? Is there a better option? Thanks

The GM 70 is a larger insert. Make sure it will fit first. There are several other options, but again it depends on whether they fit and whether they are sized right for the area to be heated.

The house is about 13,000 Sq ft. 2x4 construction so not super insulated. The fireplace has an insert already but it hasn't been used in about 25 years. The insert is a Black bart make not sure of model. I was going to have it inspired and possibly use it but reviews for it aren't favorable in general. The fireplace looks to be good size but I can't get measurements till the old Black bart it removed.

The house is about 13,000 Sq ft. 2x4 construction so not super insulated. The fireplace has an insert already but it hasn't been used in about 25 years. The insert is a Black bart make not sure of model. I was going to have it inspired and possibly use it but reviews for it aren't favorable in general. The fireplace looks to be good size but I can't get measurements till the old Black bart it removed.
Correction: 1,300 sq ft. It's a modest house not a mansion

Reactions: brhorgan
Sounds like the GM60 might be a better fit for the house size. It is close to the Montpelier in size. There are some distinct differences though in construction and operation. The Green Mountain is a hybrid stove with tubes, and a catalyst with a bypass. The Montpelier II is a more conventional design, but a single burn rate insert. There is no user air control.