Vermont Castings Radiance Air Shutter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fujilight

Nov 4, 2019
Pa
New to forum so bear w me...

Mid 90's vermont castings stove, Robertshaw 7000 control switched from NG to LP. My problem is I cannot find the air shutter or any type of adjustment for the ATF ratio. It's running rich and soothing up pretty bad. Any suggestions???

You may have to pull the burner to access the air shutter.
Haven't worked on one of them old guys in a while, but IIRC,
the burner needs to come out.

Post a pic if you can.
That injector fits into the end of the burner tube
& that is the location of the air shutter.

Screenshot_20191104-194707_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191104-194707_Chrome.jpg
I dont have a picture of where it attaches but I'm pretty positive there was nothing there.

I have a downloadable version which has no mention of air shutter or any type of adjustment other than what pilot light should look like

Imo there is no 'burner' it is just the Brays Jet that supplies the flame. When I replaced jet it was solid copper line all the way back to controller

I have a downloadable version which has no mention of air shutter or any type of adjustment other than what pilot light should look like
I think my fireplace and burner is the same as yours. The air shutter can only be the metal plate that helps secure the brays injector in the burner tube. I manged to loosen the screws around the injector enough to move the metal plate (air shutter) away from the burner inlet as possible. The flame got a little bluer but still not good enough combustion -- needs more air.

I too am having the same issues with my stove, it had 2 cracked burner pieces, I bought a parts stove and put the ceramic parts into my burner, the ceramic hiney comb looked exactly the same but the other stove had a different burner, the manual i have must be for a current production unit as there are some differences. The gas orifices are a different shape, mine are nearly flush, the others protrude out 3/4” or so. My stove was purchased from someone who had never used it and he said it came from an area i know to only have LP available. My gas valve is reverse of what the manual shows and the flame adjustment knob doesn’t have a removable cap like the manual shows. The collars to adjust air at the burner are wide open but inam still sooting like crazy. Anyone have any suggestions?

AC1D9BD3-3525-48EB-B240-7A226DB50B64.jpeg 7774241B-CC60-487B-AC91-CEE228F5FA29.jpeg D084E789-5F47-4155-9CC4-E4279BAF9899.jpeg

What size are the holes in the burner orifices?
If they are too large, like NG orifices, there is
too much fuel to mix with the air available...