Vermont Castings resolute acclaim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lctatlp

Oct 6, 2011
North Shore, MA
I have a Resolute Acclaim - model 2490, about 12 years old or so. I've been running it for 3 winters now and my question is this.. The firebrick on the left side has deteriorated (I patched it back together when it was in 3 pieces with furnace cement a while back) and now is unrepairable. About 1/2 of the top of the brick is gone. I've been running it this way for a month. Am I doing any damage to the stove by not replacing the brick? When I was a kid we had a Lange that had no firebricks - so I'm also not sure of the purpose of the firebricks. Any help would be appreciated.

Firebrick is actually made from fire clay which is good at distributing heat as well as protecting your stove from warping. You probably are not hurting it from one brick but they are cheap at tsc or hardeware stores and it is easy to replace. Our old stoves that had no brick where prone to cracking on the sides and bottoms from the ash heating the plate and cast up to much. It was not a big problem but it did happen on occasion. Also I have noticed it helps burns by keeping more heat in the firebox allowing it to burn into ash better.

Pete

Cheap enough to replace them and you will not have to worry any more. Aubuchon carries them for about $4.00 each.
Our Garrison needed a few last year. I had to cut 2 so they would fit correctly but a mason blade on my circular saw took care of it.
Easy stuff with solid benefits.

The bottom grate on my stove has warped and possibly the side plate, when it hit the left side of the stove I can hear it clang just a bit!
I guess an over fire? Although my stove has never been over 700 - as far as I know... Are these firebricks available for cheap money at hardware stores? They are not a rectangular brick but a contoured brick that looks specific to the resolute acclaim.

I looked online and the cheapest I found is $50 for one damn firebrick!

Bricks for the acclaim are $$$ I suppose you could use the $4 bricks and make them fit. IIRC the arch bricks were somewhere around $50 each plus shipping. I wouldn't run without them, as they protect the combustion package in the back which is even more expensive.

This is why my acclaim is out in the garage collecting dust. If you were closer I'd offer you the bricks/parts from mine; coming to eastern canada anytime ?

Thanks guys for the info. I won't be in eastern Canada any time soon but maybe in the future to watch the Bruins beat up on the Canadians at the Bell Center. Thanks for the offer NSDave.

Status
Not open for further replies.