Vermont Castings Vigilant Energy Extender

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob M

Oct 3, 2015
Pinckney, Michigan
Is there anybody out there that is using a Vermont Castings Vigilant Energy Extender?

I purchased my VC Vigilant new in 1980. I bought and installed a pair of glass doors a year later. A year after that I purchased and installed a VC Energy Extender. This was probably the best thing I ever did for my Vigilant. Reduced wood consumption by 30-35% and got a lot more heat from the wood burned. That meant a lot to me as wood heat has been my primary heat source since 1973. Over the years, I have had to replace the combustor about every three years or so. I also had a new wave plate made (out of stainless steel) to install in the Extender to keep the exhaust flowing correctly. Now comes my dilemma. I need to replace the insulating pads inside the Extender housing and find no parts available for this add-on unit. Most places I write to have never even heard of this unit for the Vigilant. When I needed the wave plate I was lucky enough to locate one of the engineers that worked for VC and he was able to send me the engineering drawing for the specs on this plate so I was able to get it made to precise dimensions. However, my search has been futile for any information on the insulators. Does anyone know where these insulators could be made or found? I really hate to go back to the base Vigilant after all of these years burning clean and creosote free.

hi bob welcome to the forum. i have never heard of or have never heard of anyone speak of this energy extender but i think you are in the right spot for some kind of answer. i'm sure someone knows of this product here. if the webmaster doesn't know there are people here that can make it for you here. can you post a couple of pictures of this .

Thanks for the response. I was able to locate the unstall manual which I am attaching. I will try and get some photos when the sun is shining ion the windows.

It sounds like you are describing some sort of refractory material. Some members here have made their own refractory boxes. Posting some detailed pictures with descriptions will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.