Vermont Encore Multifuel Stove stripdown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Craig Boyes

Oct 10, 2022
England
I have a circa 1998 Vermont Encore Multi fuel stove that i need to change the lower fireback on as it is cracked and warped. In starting the stripdown i cannot get the complete back panel off of the stove. There are two bolts at the top of the back plate that i have removed but i cannot get the backplate to come off it seems as though it is held on with fire cement. Would anyone be able to offer any advice on how to proceed with this?

Thanks,

Craig Boyes

What is the model number of the Encore?

The backplate with the bolts is the lower fireback. It should be removable for inspection and cleaning.

No the lower fireback is inside the fire, which is what i eventually want to replace. The back of the fire is what i cannot currently remove.(See enclosed exploded view of the fire)
Part # 3 Back of fire
Part #16 Lower fire back

Attachments

• Encore Model 2547.pdf
    988.5 KB · Views: 106
No the lower fireback is inside the fire, which is what i eventually want to replace. The back of the fire is what i cannot currently remove.(See enclosed exploded view of the fire)
Part # 3 Back of fire
Part #16 Lower fire back
The lower fireback just rests in position held in by 2 wedges. One on each side . If it’s badly warped it could be stuck in place. Normally you should be able to lift it up and out of the firebox

The lower fireback just rests in position held in by 2 wedges. One on each side . If it’s badly warped it could be stuck in place. Normally you should be able to lift it up and out of the firebox
Yes, thankyou i realise that and have removed the wedges.

What i am trying to do is remove the complete back of the fire Part #3 , I have removed the two bolts at the top of the backwall of the fire the part number is 1308620. Do you know how to do this?

I have not removed part #3 before. Hopefully someone who has can chime in for you

I haven't broken down this stove but removing the back of the stove looks like it would require complete disassembly.

Just gotta remove the top, not quite a total teardown.
Thanks. It looked like the sides had a lip that overlapped the back. I wasn't sure what would support them with the back removed.

The top edge of the back ( part #3) engages a groove in the top casting. Once the top is off the back will be free, assuming the 2 bolts on the back have been removed. None of this is necessary to remove lower fireback though, and is going to be a mess to reassemble!