Vermont Gas stove "Boom" at Start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JackRAD

Nov 7, 2020
Bay Shore NY
I have an LP Vermont Casting Radiance Stove (circa 2013).

Few weeks ago I had a Gasket Door Heat problem that was solved with the help of this Forum.

Until now when the Pilot is On and I started the Stove within 1-3 second the main Fire would start and worked well.

Now Pilot is still working, but when I start it takes 20 or more sec. and it start with a rather scary "Boom".

After the Boom it immediately calms down and work as it should.

I did some search and it seems that since there is a delay in catching the fire too much Gas accommodates in the chamber and then it ignite with a Boom.

Functionally it means that when the stove is used with a thermostat it happens every time when it goes Off and On. Beside the unpleaabt noise it is probably dangerous too.

So... what shell I do How can I fix it.

TIA

Please still not solved!!
I had the same problem with a Jotul stove a couple of years ago. I had a tech come out and he replaced the pilot fixture to one that had a larger flame. He also rearranged some of the embers to make sure they weren't blocking the pilot flame. Apparently the smaller flame wasn't infighting the gas quick enough. Once it was replaced the problem went away. I agree it's scary when the stove goes "Boom." Call a local stove place and have a tech come out to service your stove, it's worth spending a few bucks for peace of mind.

Remove everything from firebox. Clean pilot ensure strong pilot. Clean entire firebox special attention to air shutter and burner orifice. Reassemble per manual