Vertical exhaust (vent) pipe..??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KenofShelby

Burning Hunk
Some pellet stoves manufacturers,, say on a thru the wall exhaust that a 3 foot vertical pipe is recommended....In fact I emailed England Stove,, and they replied that the vertical stack is ‘mandatory ‘.

I don’t like how the vertical pipe looks, and I am concerned that as close as it is to the wall, that my vinyl siding will be discolored.

My existing Quadrafire has worked just fine with just the horizontald exhaust, ending about two foot away from the siding,,, on my dealers recommendation

What do some stoves need the vertical and some not?
And will it discolor my siding.

thanks for your help.

Englander wants vertical rise because it creates a natural draft, which assists the stoves ability to burn fuel efficiently. It also helps keep the smoke moving out of the stove in a power outage situations. Do they work without them? yes but they do work better with them, just like the OAK. They say this because it covers thier ass. Will it stain your siding? Any wood appliance can. If the stove is kept clean and maintained i would say it wouldn’t stain any more than any other stove. I pressure wash my siding once a yr and never had any.

Correct. There are some that do not require a vertical. And usually show acceptable venting in the install manual.

I have an Englander in my shop that has no vertical.. It works fine.
They have blowers in them.. They aren't relying on draft to run..
I agree.. if there is a power outage, you may get some smoke...
fortunately, it has never been an issue here with my situation.

Reactions: KenofShelby