Very Humid, Toilets are Sweating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the AC units are oversized for the area, they will not run enough to dehumidify the air. BTDT. You could try running one less AC for a day or two and see if the humidity changes. It sounds to me like you have too much cooling capacity.

Agreed: high humidity at 74 can feel warmer than a dry 80.

We only have 1 window unit cooling about 900 sq ft. If you count the whole house :) It is in the only "normal" window we have as the rest are all crank out windows. It is in my husbands collection room in the window facing the bedroom, we keep the door open obviously and have a pedestal fan in the doorway to help push the air around upstairs. Downstairs is all stone so its usually cooler anyway. We've been here 10 years with the same set up, first year we have all this moisture! I threatened to fire up the stove tonight just to dry the place out ;)

This is a good reason to space the toilet tank at least an inch off the wall to allow ventilation. Otherwise there is going to be a healthy colony of black mold growing back there.

Velvet, I have no AC, only in my office and bedroom. It is 90+ degrees here lately, inside home 85degrees when I got home today, same yesterday. I like to shower with cooler sometimes cold water. Even mild warmer showers will make a difference. I also leave the door open &/or run the exhaust fan. My water is well and never took temp but it is cold. My tank is not sweating at all.
Now when there was the lil woman here, and her "scorching hot" showers & closed door, the humidity in the bathroom caused the tanks to sweat.
YOu may want to try some adjustments of shower temps and ventilation of moisture while shower, and this may be simple enough to solve your problem. If not, then you may want to consider the valve. Everything else I researched about this before, said the tray & insulations kits were a waste of money and did not solve the issue.

We only run one window A/C unit and while it can't keep the temperature constant inside the house once the outside temperature goes above 85 or so, it does an excellent job of keeping the humidity down.

After re-reading, I'm not sure - are the insides of your toilet tanks insulated?

If not, get some foam board & silicone caulk & do that.

I thought that was standard stuff on toilet tanks for a long time now. Ours are 17 years old, on the low end as far as toilet price goes, & they came insulated. The only time we see sweats is if something sticks in the tank & water is constantly running through, which has gotten to be a rare occurance (knock on wood) - although our climate isn't quite as bad for things sweating as other places. I think the last thing I would do is use hot water to get rid of it - heating water for that would just grate at me like a chalkboard on fingernails.

No OEM insulation on my new toilets. They are the fancy dual flush too.

We will be remodeling our bathroom and our new toilet will be insulated. You can buy them that way and it does not cost much extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.