Vestas has a solution for recycling wind turbine blades

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There's a company around here trialing a small scale plant that converts garbage of all kinds to diesel fuel, I wonder if this is a similar concept? Once a windmill blade is converted to a hydrocarbon it would be rather simple to again make plastics or resins using existing processes.

Reactions: SpaceBus
There's a company around here trialing a small scale plant that converts garbage of all kinds to diesel fuel, I wonder if this is a similar concept? Once a windmill blade is converted to a hydrocarbon it would be rather simple to again make plastics or resins using existing processes.
There are several waste to energy processes. Is this specific to turning plastic waste into diesel? Or any garbage?
Do you know the company name? I found this article, but it's 4 yrs old.

There are several waste to energy processes. Is this specific to turning plastic waste into diesel? Or any garbage?
Do you know the company name? I found this article, but it's 4 yrs old.

Was supposed to be any garbage, they were going to take a bunch of old wooden rail ties from CN and sell them back the diesel it made for the locomotives.

But yes that's the company, Cielo. I haven't followed them in a while though, looking now it looks like their stock has tanked, none of their new projects have been built, and possible financial difficulties.

Was supposed to be any garbage, they were going to take a bunch of old wooden rail ties from CN and sell them back the diesel it made for the locomotives.

But yes that's the company, Cielo. I haven't followed them in a while though, looking now it looks like their stock has tanked, none of their new projects have been built, and possible financial difficulties.
That's why I asked. I have seen that story repeat itself multiple times and interviewed one locally. It too seems to have fizzled. They use a similar process. There is a company in British Columbia that is processing waste plastics that I am following. They seem to be more together. We are working with a local business to recycle our community's waste plastics. These collections go to Merlin.

There is also a local firm in NH who also claims to have a plastics to diesel project https://www.wcax.com/content/news/How-a-local-company-is-turning-plastic-into-diesel-568089441.html

The devil is in the details https://energynews.us/2023/03/15/ne...lastics-as-some-call-for-tighter-regulations/

Generally the only way these pencil out is if they are getting paid to take the waste. Landfill space is expensive especially in VT (only one very expensive landfill not that far away from Groveton NH) reportedly $160 per ton plus a bunch of add on fees. If the plastic waste can be converted to diesel and sold into the wholesale diesel market they have two streams of revenue.

The problem with many of these plants is that there is a waste stream and its pretty nasty stuff. There can also be various nasty emissions during processing.

Reactions: stoveliker
The problem with many of these plants is that there is a waste stream and its pretty nasty stuff. There can also be various nasty emissions during processing.
The firm we interviewed had a closed system that tightly controlled emissions. I think they were using steam pyrolysis in a closed chamber, but will need to dig up their literature. The company pitched the idea to the county which is considering alternatives once the landfill is at capacity. They seem to have used up all their startup capital too.

The problem is that virgin plastic is too cheap...

Reactions: woodgeek
They are all waiting for carbon tax to get a third stream of revenue.